Re: Future Who

In a message dated 8/8/2003 4:31:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >LiZ makes me feel young again.
>
> With songs mentally geared towards 16 year-olds, I'm not surprised.

16 year olds that appreciate brilliant musicians that make timeless music.
And sing about Fairy tales.

>You're saying there's a commercial radio station in the Detroit area that
plays both rap music & The Who? I'm shocked. What other non-rap artists
do they play?

No, no, now that WOULD be a phenomenon.  I'm talking about the Rock station
that plays all of the current rock songs and stuff like KoRn and Limp Bizkit
etc. By the way,  where did Creed go?  See, now even they are getting old. Two
or three albums, OK, but how about 9 or 10?  Who is it that can change their
sound and still rock?  What I am saying is that maybe the thing has come full
circle where Pete can actually write some rock songs and hit it while it is hot
again.  Nobody that is young knows what a real rock band is capable of
generally. It would be a stretch of course, but where did he pull the song Who are
you out of? I want to see Pete and Roger do something that others have been
unable to do.  Like the 2002 tour.  The Who energy is with them and they know it,
otherwise why even think of doing such a thing?  They must know something.

>OK, funny boy. Pardon me if you weren't clear in your original statement.

Heh Heh.  I was just semi quoting the way Pete himself said it.

>As opposed to today when basically The Who don't even *exist* as a new
product-creating band. And their bass player has just died. And their
guitar player, singer, songwriter is on a sexual predator list. I believe
they're at a more difficult point now than they were in the early '80s.

Maybe, but there is not the huge expectations from them that may have been
suffocating him at that time.  Pete was sick of it. Even though they are in some
tough circumstances, he seems to be rather fond of The Who now and friends
with Roger-which he certainly was not back then.

>To produce? OK. Sure.

Hey, good idea!

>I say, get Mike Watt of The Minutemen to play bass.
Meat & potatoes bass there. Incidentally, Mike Watt will be playing bass
for Iggy Pop & the Stooges in the Detroit area this Thursday. Sonic Youth
is opening that show. I may go. Are you going, Jon?

I haven't heard about it.  Where are they playing?
If you go, let me know. If you do, I'll work it in.

Jon in Mi.