Re: Empty Glass

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schrade, Scott"

> > By Numbers has always been my least favorite Who album, and I love
> > Pete's soft solo stuff.  It just didn't work with The Who for me.
>
> I used to think that way.  Now I like it.  It made more sense when I
passed
> the age of 30.  You're in your mid-30's, aren't you, Jim?  And you still
> have trouble with WHO BY NUMBERS?  I think Daltrey & Moon shine on that
> album.

It's not that I don't like it.  If The Who's album collection were a Playboy
calendar, By Numbers would be my least favorite playmate.  Still not a bad
thing.  I'll tell you what, now that I've reached the ripe old age of 37 and
I should be mature enough to appreciate the subtle depth of By Numbers, I'll
burn a copy for the car and listen to it for a week.  It's probably been
many years since I gave it that much of a shot.  But, if I turn gay, I'm
blaming you.

> > Who Are You works much better for me musically,
>
> That's weird.  It's the other way around for me.  I see WHO BY NUMBERS as
> being much stronger than WHO ARE YOU.  On all fronts.

I really like the jazzy guitar work on Guitar And Pen, Music Must Change and
in the quiet section of Who Are You.  And, as a pure rock anthem, Who Are
You the song is the best thing they've done since Baba O'Riley.  There are
no songs on By Numbers that make that kind of impact.

I love Slip Kid, with its funky beat, and how can you not like Squeeze Box?
But Imagine a Man, They Are All In Love and, I'm sorry ladies, How Many
Friends?  I don't know.  I thnk it's just too much all together on one
album.  Then there's Blue, Red and Grey, which would be great...if it were
on Scoop, but on a Who album?  Come on.

> "They?"  You mean Pete.  It all boils down to Pete.  It always has.

Well, yeah, because he's the only one with the creative genius to have a
chance at a truly memorable solo career.  What choice did Roger and John
have but to stick up for The Who?  Who can blame Pete for wanting to try
something different after Keith's death and 15 years of the same thing?

Jim M