Re: Beatlemania

In a message dated 05/06/2002 8:55:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> unfortunatly, i'm a beatle freak as well. ha! if it wasn't for the beatles,
> we wouldnt have all these great bands, including the who. just think,
> before
> the beatles came, "dominque" by the singing nun was a big hit, and the four
> seasons were the biggest group in the country.   so ya gotta admit, the
> beatles were legendary. ha!

I certainly never said they weren't legendary or vital to rock and roll.
Their "catchy," sing-a-long style vaulted them into mega-stardom and the
mainstream, opening the marketplace for bands like the Who to make good money
off their music and thus continue to make music and get it played on the
radio.  However, as far as advancing the sound of rock or even the topics of
rock, the Who clearly led the way.  The Beatles were still limited basically
to pop songs about love and girls when the Who were singing My Generation and
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and I'm a Boy.  By the end of the 60s and into the
early 70s, music sounded much more like the Who than the Beatles- Zeppelin,
Floyd, Cream, Guess Who, Hendrix, Queen, etc.  I'm sure you'll disagree, but
again this is all just IMHO.

mc