Glancing Very Briefly At The Songs I Write: They're All In Love

Guys:

Here's song number two, I hope it evokes lots of discussion:

They're All In Love (1975)

"Where do you walk on sunny times
When the rivers gleam and the buildings shine
How do you feel goin' up hallowed halls
And the summer clothes brighten gloomy halls"

This part of the song has never really fit the rest for me, and perhaps I'm
just missing it...but the best I can think of is that it sets the mood around
Townshend, like "things around me are good but I feel cynical."

"And they're all in love
And they're all in love"

Again, it's not clear to me but I'd guess all the young, more innocent
people.

"Where do you fit in (ppllltttht!) magazine
Where the past is the hero and the present a queen"

Here's a poser...I'd guess it's got to be either Rolling Stone or Creem, but
my guess would be Creem since (as those who remember it will recall) it was
the more adversarial of the two, in its tone.

"Just tell me right now where do you fit in
With mud in your eye and a passion for gin"

Where DO The Who fit in the world (at that time) of Prog Rock and Disco and
what amounts to Lite Rock? The Punks weren't on the scene...YET, although as
we seen next Pete has anticipated them:

"Hey, goodbye all you punks
Stay young and stay high
Hand me my checkbook
And I'll crawl out to die"

This one's TOO easy. Pete was articulating his boredom with The Who. But a
flash of brilliance IMHO since it became even more relevant after Punk Rock
hit about a year later.

"But like a woman in childbirth
Grown ugly in a flash"

Gotta love this line...it's one of his more unexpected yet perfect ones.

"I'm seen magic and fame
Now I'm recycling trash"

Again, he's bored with the traditional Who sound, but doesn't know what to do
about it. He (in his eyes) can't introduce us to the farther reaches of his
experience and imagination while stuck in The Who.

Next...

     "This is a dangerous world. Too many
               people are losing their lives to murderers."
                      George "Nu-CU-lar Man" Bush