Re: Glancing Very Briefly At The Songs I Write: They're All In Love

> They're All In Love (1975)

A-ha!  We're moving on to more substantial material than sappy "Sunrise."
Good.  While this (again) isn't one of my *favorite* Who songs, it's grown
on me in the past 5 years or so.  I think I like the lyrics more than the music.

Mark, don't get mad if I concentrate heavily on the lyrics - I can't help it.

> "Where do you walk on sunny times
> When the rivers gleam and the buildings shine
> How do you feel goin' up hallowed halls
> And the summer clothes brighten gloomy halls"

The last line in this stanza conjures all sorts of images - granted most of them
are of girls in their gloriously scanty Summer outfits - but hey, it's Pete's trip.
I'm just along for the ride.

> This part of the song has never really fit the rest for me, and perhaps I'm
> just missing it...but the best I can think of is that it sets the mood around
> Townshend, like "things around me are good but I feel cynical."

Well, he's cynical cause everyone around him is doped-up on Love & he sees
himself as "out of the loop."  Self-bashing.  Frustration.  Helplessness?

> "And they're all in love
> And they're all in love"
>
> Again, it's not clear to me but I'd guess all the young, more innocent
> people.

Perhaps.  But maybe some of his more stable older friends, too.  Remember,
this is Pete's early-mid-life-crisis album.  The songs on WBN are reflecting
more on adulthood than childhood / young adulthood.

> "Where do you fit in (ppllltttht!) magazine
> Where the past is the hero and the present a queen"

> Here's a poser...I'd guess it's got to be either Rolling Stone or Creem, but
> my guess would be Creem since (as those who remember it will recall) it was
> the more adversarial of the two, in its tone.

Yeah, but let's not gloss over the homosexual reference here, either.  In the
past he was portrayed as a hero in these magazines.  In reality, in the present,
he's more like a "queen."  How would he fit (be accepted) in these magazines
now?

The "queen" reference can only be viewed in this light (the reference to homo-
sexuality was well-known - as any fan of Are You Being Served? can tell you.
I'm free, indeed!).

The "(ppllltttht!) magazine" part (going with Mark's spelling here even though
it looks like it might have one too many t's) saves Pete from any lawsuits by not
mentioning a real magazine, & also references that subtle British two-finger salute
that is somewhat less jolting than a firmly displayed middle finger.

> "Just tell me right now where do you fit in
> With mud in your eye and a passion for gin"

More self-pity.  I'm a drunken slob.  Who could love me?

> "Hey, goodbye all you punks
> Stay young and stay high
> Hand me my checkbook
> And I'll crawl out to die"

Notice he says "goodbye all you punks" & not "hello."  The "hey" is almost
like a "hello," but it's a quick "hi - goodbye" kind of a thing.  Disrespectful.
But Pete's not saying that *he's* the sincere one.  He'll take his money, thank
you very much, & get the fuck out of their (the punks) way.  He's too despon-
dent to fight - or even compete.

> "But like a woman in childbirth
> Grown ugly in a flash"

> Gotta love this line...it's one of his more unexpected yet perfect ones.

I'll go one further & say that this is the best line in the song.  Sexist?  Maybe.
Correct?  Maybe.

> "I'm seen magic and fame
> Now I'm recycling trash"
>
> Again, he's bored with the traditional Who sound, but doesn't know what to do
> about it. He (in his eyes) can't introduce us to the farther reaches of his
> experience and imagination while stuck in The Who.

Yeah, it's hard to read those lines any differently.  Yet, above it all, *he's* the
one to blame & he knows it.

Like I said, this isn't one of my favorites from WBN.  It's another one of those
Broadway-esque type songs that crop-up a lot in Pete's work.  But still, it's rich.
And narcissistic.  And depressing.  And pitiful.  And hopeless.  And all that's good.
Because it's honest.

- SCHRADE in Akron