Re: The music is the thing (no Who)

>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:03:56 EST
>From: Deliphus01@aol.com
>
>Starving to death is a non-essential? It's such that drives men, my friend!

By "focusing on non-essentials" I mean that you're looking at results, not
causes.  Of course economics is important, but it derives from and reflects
underlying sets of assumptions, deductions, and policies -- in short, a
philosophy.

>But my point is: Hitler could have never gotten away with villifying the Jews
>had the rest of the German people not felt their own economic situation was a
>result of their doing.

And mine is: that may be a true observation but it is not a sufficient
explanation.  A bad economic situation alone cannot explain genocide, even
(and especially) to the practitioners of that genocide.  Philosophy, and
more particularly the book I mentioned, explains how a deeply cultured,
technologically advanced, well-educated European nation could could support
a Hitler and believe his explanation and Final Solution, when other nations
in similar economic situations did not.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend