Re: Comments On Pete's VH1 Interview

Girlfriend: Let's write a song together, Pete! Okay, I've got our guitars here and the tape's ready to run, and I've got a pencil and paper to plot it out. First we need a subject. What shall we write about?

Pete: Uh, I dunno.

Girlfriend: Well, after all those songs you've written, it seems to me you could come up with a subject fairly easily, but whatever. Let's write one about all the problems going on in the world today. That's a worthy subject, isn't it?

Pete: Uh, okay.

Girlfriend: Fine. It's settled then. What rhyme scheme shall we use?

Pete: Huh?

Girlfriend: Rhyme scheme! Rhyme scheme! You know: AABB or ABBA. Something like that. What rhyme scheme do you want to use?

Pete: I dunno. Whatever comes out.

Girlfriend: But you don't write songs that way, Pete! You've got to have a rhyme scheme before you start.

Pete: Uh, okay. Whatever.

Girlfriend: Alright, let's use ABBA. Shall we use a bridge?

Pete: (mumbles) Uh...

Girlfriend: What kind of hook shall we use?

Pete: (brightening) Are we going fishing?

Girlfriend: No! Of course not! Not until the week-end, that is! This is a songwriting hook. You need a hook to catch the listener's attention. You know, something catchy that sticks in their memory.

Pete: Oh. (turns up his palms)

Girlfriend: How about, "Save the world!" Do you think that would do it?

Pete: Maybe.

Girlfriend: It seems like you'd have more of a feel for it than that. But okay, we need a catchy melody, too. Do you have something we could use?

Pete: Uh... (strums on the guitar)

Girlfriend: That is totally wierd, Pete. That's not a regular chord progression at all. Where did that come from?

Pete: I dunno. I just liked it.

Girlfriend: You are sooo hopeless, Pete. Don't you know how to write a song at all?

Pete: I guess not. (puts guitar down) Listen, this is sort of embarrassing. Couldn't we just...uh, do something else instead?

keets