Re: Who influenced who(m)

that followed The Who simply "borrowed" Pete's raunchy *guitar sound*
from LAL.

Scott:

Actually, I'd put it a bit earlier than that, like say 1964. The Who live influenced every single Rock band, and some other types as well. I never said it was just Pete, I said it was The Who. That means the unit, and includes not only Pete but Keith Roger and John as well.

should say, "Jimmy Page's guitar sound was influenced by Pete Town-
shend's live guitar sound." Wouldn't that be more accurate?

No. It's actually LESS accurate. Page was more influenced by Blues guitarists. But you'll notice Zep sounds a WHOLE lot more like The Who than it does The Yardbirds (from whence they came). So think about it (no Yardbirds song reference intended).

Still, I'm looking for evidence of any band using The Who's actual
*songs* as an influence. Or using Pete's *writing style* as an in-
fluence.

I never said that was the case. I'm talking about the sound of the band. Don't forget how much heavier the MG album was compared to anything else out that year. And how much ICSFM sounds like a Zep song before Zep existed. It's like everywhere you look!

The Jam *sounds* nothing like The Who.

And I hear it in most of the songs up to Sound Affects. After that they became more R&B. You want to hear Who in The Jam? Listen to the end of In The Crowd, a pretty decent nod to the end of My Generation by anyone's standard.

Why is agreeing with Paul McCartney on something "sad?"

The man wrote Silly Love Songs. Nuff said. I won't even mention Ebony And Ivory...oops!

"Batting first: Scott Schrade!" Apart from amplification & the
autodestruction what other evidence is there, Professor Leaman?

Well, the obvious...you know, the use of feedback (which Hendrix was NOT doing before he went to England and then "suddenly" he was) and Mitch Mitchell being the most credible Moon-type drummer of the time. Again the three man format. And so on, and so forth.

other musicians stole from The Who's live show. And that's got more
to do with band competition rather than artistic influence.

How's that? These bands saw The Who live, in England especially (note that most of the bands we're talking about are also from England), even if they didn't actually OPEN for The Who.

That's *your* interpretation. Maybe *you're* the crude one!

I never said I wasn't. I think it's pretty clear, given the lyrics and the impossibility at the time of actually mentioning sex in a song. But that's "cock Rock" if ever there was any. Pictures Of Lily notwithstanding. On the other hand, if lyrics like "The Queen of light/Took her vow/And then she turned to go..." and "The Ringwraiths ride in black" and "I am a traveler of both time and space..." etc. is "cock Rock" then The Moody Blues are the king of it!

So is Howard Stern.

OK, I'll give you that one. Hill just sucks. Take away Yakkity Sax and he's nothing.

You'll excuse me, my CD & vinyl collection is lacking a bit in the clas-
sical department.

Well, you know, these things come in handy when you're trying to understand music and where it came from.

Weller said what? That Jam songs sound like early Who?

That he wrote like The Who.

I don't know that *that's* even true. The Punks *accepted* The Who &
didn't give them the shit they gave other "dinosaur bands" but I don't

According to the legend of Who Are You, the two Pistols said to Pete "Don't break up The Who, they're our favorite band." and Strummer was reported to also be a great admirer. I think that goes beyond "accepting."

know of *any* Punk band who has stated that they were trying to *emulate*

A LOT of Who songs were recorded by Punk bands, like TKAA (Eddie & The Hot Rods) and Substitute. The Pistols did that one, as did the Ramones. The Jam recorded Circles, Disguises and So Sad About Us. Sugar (led by Bob Mould of Husker Du) recorded a damned good Punk version of Armenia. And so on.

much Who influence in the Ramones. More Beach Boys than Who. Explain
*that,* Professor Leaman!

How big can you get imitating another band exactly? Uh, ask Kingdom Come I guess. Who are they?  Exactly.

"Lack of funding?" What are you talking about?

Entwistle used the first Marshall, which helped John M. fund his company. Who history, there, my friend. And plenty of things have died on the vine for lack of promotion or funding. Take Country Rap, for instance...I KNOW that would have been HUGE if ONLY they could have gotten the word out...

I blocked a lot of that stuff out.

You shouldn't. Otherwise it's hard to really relate to songs like Sunrise and Melancholia.

Getting drunk, getting into fights, sleeping on the street, waking up
with a cop standing over you....? Yes, I'd call that dangerous.

Maybe in Akron. That happens to people all of the time, all over the place. Check your local biker bar. But taking a gun to school and blowing ones' brains out is a tad more dangerous, I think.

More truthful words have never been spoken/written.

Lew:

Thank you kindly. I'm glad SOMEONE sees it besides me!

Well, actually, yeah. Just not into covers. They're like forgeries of art.

Kevin:

OK...so you're going to bail on Summertime Blues. PPP which I think is incredible, and just as good as the Brown version, and I Don't Mind. Shaking All Over? Young Man BLUES? DADDY ROLLING STONE???? (now I'm gettin' mad) Leavin Here??? BUCKET EFFING T???

Oh, the humanity!

personality on us here? Ahhhh, heroine.

Who's the heroine?

I also find it interesting how genuine English Punk bagged the idea of
singing in American dialect and allowed for English accents.

As did The Kinks, from day one. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Look at the ABBA girls (who wouldn't want to do that?!).

Scott:

Me. I'd rather look at Pat Benatar any day. Martha Davis. Yeah, baby!

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004

                                             Cheers             ML