Re: yawnadino

In a message dated 08/07/2002 9:54:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> No, they made the right choice with Pino.
>
> And while I'm at it, let me eat my words & say that Simon is *not* in-
> trusive on stage.  He *does* benefit the backing vocals.  He *does not*
> hamper Pete's guitar playing.  He helps fill-out the sound & is not "in
> the way" at all.
>

> - - SCHRADE in Akron

I agree on all points, Scott.  I suppose I don't know enough about music to
be able to tell, but I think the band sounds great.  True, there isn't that
wall of bass notes coming from the left as there used to be, but no one could
adequately reproduce what John did, so what would be the point of trying?
Pino was the right choice for this tour, and if they stay with him in the
future, I won't be disappointed.  He has a bluesy style that fits in just
fine with the Who's music.  For god's sake, isn't it "maximum r & B"?  He's
solid.  With John gone, people go to see Daltrey, Townshend, and Zak.

You are very right about Simon also.  One reason the music sounds good is
that he improves the backing vocals considerably.  Let's face it, John didn't
take care of his voice and by the 90s couldn't really help at all with
vocals, which was noticeable in many of the songs from the Y2K tour.  Simon
makes many of the songs sound more like the original Who.  Having Simon there
may have also actually helped Pete feel more comfortable about letting loose
on lead guitar.  Just a theory.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971