the world's my home.....when I'm MOBILE!

7/31/02
After being on a very tight and busy schedule since last Friday (7/26), I
suddenly find myself with time to kill.  Not what I planned, but ya make the
best of it.  It's in stark contrast to the flurry of non-stop activity over
the past five days.  The memories are already starting to blend together.  I'm
sitting outside of my Motel room and figure the best way to spend the time
waiting for check-out is to start writing my thoughts down.........this post.
I didn't plan this.  I really figured I would only post some short sentiments.
But, when you got noghting else to do, it's a good way to share.  Plus, it's
helps me too.

BOSTON (7/26):
Getting There:
I begin my journey early Friday morning by hitting the road at 6:30am.  A
whole bunch of Vermont corn and cheese in the back, along with plenty of beer,
and I'm ready for Jeff's Who-ha in Boston.
I arrive at Manchester, NH Airport at 9:50, just in time to meet my buddy Stu
from DC and Schrade from Akron.  As I figured out the night before, Schrade's
SW Air flight goes through Baltimore's BWI which is where Stu departed from,
so they're on the same flight.
After a couple of Who-hugs I'm immediately hit with the news of cocaine
involvement in John's death.  My reaction is described to me as "surprisingly
un-surprised".  I guess that's about right.  Hell, it's his body.  You knew he
was still parting.  I later became a bit pissed about it, and then ultimately
felt sorry for him.  I mean, there had to be a level of, or a degree of
suicidal thinking. Got to wonder why?
At any rate it was yet another blow, particularly for the band, and we
speculated on what it's effect on the show would be.
Off to Boston!
We drive through the "big dig" where Stu procedes to amaze us with facts all
about the construction site.  Ahhhhh, the wonder of The Learning Channel.
Some slow traffic and an hour or so in the Jeep, and we arrive at Brother
Jeff's house.  Already present are Brothers Alan McKendry and Keets.  The mood
was immediately festive.  It seems Buck has his kryptonite........coffee. ;-)
Melanie was a blur in the kitchen.  Little Tenley was jammin' on her guitar.
And there was this sack along the wall that was moving on it's own.  Ahhhh,
the lobsters.
Some team-corn-shucking, getting everyone set with beverages, lending Mel a
hand where it would be accepted, the arrival of  Brother George Ligouri and
his friend Sean, and we were soon all on the back deck feasting like
Who-kings.  Ultimate Collection was the audio.  Rounding out the group with a
just-in-time arrival was Brother Jon from Mi.
At this point I had no idea what we would be seeing that night.  I found it
difficult to speculate, and at times to even talk about the band and the
future.  Time to go hunting rabbits.  :o)
By the time we all left Jeff's around 4:30, I think it's safe to say we were
well on our way to a good night.
We arrived at the venue around 5:30 and all parked together.
This is when the amazing George Ligouri road-show started.  The man is a
seasoned vet at tail-gate parties.  Before we knew what was happening, he had
a Union Jack on a 10ft pole flying off the back of his truck, complete with
yellow smiley face balloons on top.  We added Stu's Union Jack to really set
the stage.  Turned our back for a moment, and George had tables, a bike, and
meat cooking on a grill!
Sweet!
We're soon joined by my friends Jess and Laura who now live in Boston, and my
good VT friends Jeff and Julia.  Phil "The Lurker",  Rick from ME, and several
other folks who's names I'm too shaky on to try and put down in writing joined
the growing group.
The rest is a mix of beer, good conversation, many laughs, and increasing
nerves about the upcoming show.

The Show:
We made it into the venue right at the end of Plant's set.  From what I could
hear, his encore was lame.  Got to our seats right before The Who took the
stage.
I'm not going to go into a full review, just some thoughts.......
I enjoyed ICSFM...they played it tight, also enjoyed Tricky Day.  I enjoyed
the Quad and especially the Tommy "viniettes" the most.
Sparks......FANtastic.  Pete had energy and balls, and Roger's voice was
amazing.  Really, Roger sounds AMAZING!  I don't get it.
Zak........A MONSTER.  Period.
But this show was hitting me hard.  There was a SERIOUS gap on the low end of
the music.  Keets had hinted at Jeff's that this is what we would find, but
now I was experiencing it.  No John.  It hurt.  I teared during Eminence Front
where the bass was completely inaudible.  I teared again staring at John's
photo's.  I think one of the few things Pete said about John was that he left
this world doing what he wanted to. The sound was so bad though that I could
barely make out what Pete was saying.  Pete seemed kind of withdrawn from it
all.  Professional, yet withdrawn.
After the show I left feeling very down about The Who.  It seemed lifeless.
The Who seemed very "professional" and just going through the paces.  I soon
found out by talking with Stu and Schrade that I wasn't alone in this
thinking.  Schrade went for a walk during the set (a first) and found the
sound on the lawn to be miserable.
We attributed the missing spark to:
1) Jet Lag
2) Bad Sound
3) Bass WAAAAY too low
4) Dealing with the cocaine news.
Well, the only thing I was looking forward to at that point was my improving
seats.  My friends enjoyed the show and thought it was great, but they also
hadn't seen them when it all works together.  Stu stayed positive and thought
with a good nights rest, and some distance from the cocaine discovery, Camden
would indeed rock as usual.
The above types of discussion ensued on our return to George's Tail-gate
Central.  So did the beer consumption and grilling of cobob goodies.
Time was starting to reach the 1am range, and we soon packed it in for the
night.  The Who-Jeep, traveling with Stu, Schrade and yours truly The Captain,
followed my buddies Jess and Laura back to their place in Boston for some
shut-eye.  Nice cool night.  Perfect.

CAMDEN (7/27):
Getting There:
Woke relatively early and was treated to a full out breakfast cooked by Jess.
YOU DA MAN!
All that cooking, and then he saddles up next to us with a bowl of Captain
Crunch.  Hey, I wasn't complaining!
On the road before 10, and we headed south.  Route 95 all the way baby.
Plenty of time to listen to tunes.  The highlight.....Schrade's memorial
collection of OX material.  It's an absolutely fantastic collection (I want a
copy!!! :).  You really can't appreciate the breadth of John's catalog until
you hear it all together.
By the time we get to Camden, it's hotter than shit out.  Humidity is thick as
well.
I thought I could ride my big breakfast all the way to Camden, but when we
arrive at Hanks around 3:30, I'm feeling pretty haggard, and desperate for
food.  But here's the gang welcoming us travelers with open arms!  Magik, Joe
L., Rich M., Bill, Terrance Mc. and a whole bunch of other wholesome Who fans
are all ready to rage!  But me, I'm looking over their shoulders every few
minutes waiting for my Philly (Camden side) Cheese Steak with Fries order.  I
was feeling that bad.
To pass the time, I stand slack-jawed staring at Terrance's collection of
personal photo's of John and the band.  Some really impressive work.
Finally I get to eat, and top it with the nights first beer.
Ahhhh, starting to get my wind (no pun intended) already.
The mood was very upbeat, but there was also this nervousness about what to
expect.  I'm sure Stu, Scott and my report about Boston didn't help things.
Hey, we were just being honest.
I think I'm still seeing spots from all the photo's that were taken (I want
copies!!!!!!!! :-)
We really had a great time at Hanks.  The time was short, but it was just the
beginning.
Off to the venue!
Follow Magik and Joe right into the VIP sections to the immediate left of the
venue entrance.
Magik does it again.  A badge flashed here, a couple of kind words there, and
presto.....the doors opened.
Up goes the Union Jack on a five foot pole.  And, the yellow balloons, now in
my care, go right on top.
At one point Greg. R shows up.  Must have been when I had to sit my bare ass
in the parking lot port-o-john.  Damn Cheesesteak revenge!!!!!!  Nothing finer
than using a port-o-john at a concert.
My good friend and Who Mentor Mike Schnall showed up with his girl friend, and
the crew was complete.  We partied until right before the end of Plant's set,
with only a 45 minute shower to interrupt us.  But, it wasn't even an
interruption.  We all piled into our cars and cozied up together for a spell.
When the rain stopped, and the fans emerged, we were greeted by a glorious
wet-t-shirt parade!

The Show:
Camden crowds are some of the most rowdy.  They know how to party.  This one
was no exception.  You could feel the energy before the show.  When the band
came out, I immediately realized they had Pino turned way up from the night
before at Boston.
A very good move.  But then I notice the band is much more energized as well!
The "Wow-factor" started kicking in almost from the beginning.  ICSFM,
although tight at Boston, was traded in for Bargain, which was nailed in royal
fashion.  Bargain was amazing.  Simply amazing.
Zak........A MONSTER.  Period.
Pete is flying around and really putting on a show.
He flubs up Tricky Day a bit, and then there was also the gaff in Sparks,
which actually gave us a second cycle leading up to the final crescendo, but
these were just mental lapses.  It didn't have an effect on the energy one
bit.  Give me a few mind-farts over an emotionless show anyday.
Now, I need help here.  I could SWEAR that I heard Pete say after introducing
the band "And Mr. Entwistle, I don't have a fucking thing to say to you
tonight."  No one else I talked to heard it.  Was I imagining it????
Anyone?????  I need to listen to a boot!!!
Pete did talk about being "careful what you eat".  I think the quote went
"some of us still care about what we eat"..kind of a dig at John.
The John-tribute-photo's received a HUUUUUGE ovation and cheer from the crowd,
without a doubt the biggest of the three shows I saw.  *That* got me all misty
again.
After the show, when Stu and I met up with Scott (Scott and Joe sat
together...had to go for pairs) we all at the same time kind of cheered and
group hugged, with Hi-fives acknowledging the distinct rise in energy and
emotion from the night before.  We were all amazed at the kicking up of a
couple of notches.  I think it was just a relief to know that these guys still
cared.

We all returned to the parking lot to continue the festivities.  This time
however, we were heading down to DC, so The Who Jeep  had to take off
relatively soon.  We still managed to hang well past 12am.
Pull into Stu's house around 3am, and finally get to bed around 3:30.  Schrade
didn't even snore.  :-)

Day Off (7/28):
Up pretty early again, and are treated again to a nice big breakfast.  GO
LORI, GO LORI, GO LORI!!!
I drop Cousin Schrade off at the subway to head downtown to sightsee around
DC, and I head over to the Bay south of Annapolis to go boating with my two
friends Jack and TJ.  Spend a great day knee boarding and chilling on the
water with good friends.
Stu rests, and Schrade doesn't get back to Stu's until after 7 or so.  Sound
like they both had a great day too.  I understand the roast Lori cooked was
outstanding as usual.  I enjoyed my pizza   :-|   and slept at Jack's.

HERSHEY!! (7/29):
Getting there:
Up early to battle DC rush hour and be at my parents (1 1/2hr later) for an
obligatory visit by 7:45am.  It's going to be another HOT day.  This is why I
moved from DC to VT!!!!!
Hang for a couple of hours and go to Stu's to pick up Cousin Schrade.  Schrade
and I head for Hershey while Stu and Lori wait for a couple of Stu's bandmates
Ed and Enrique (brothers).
A little over two hours later, and we're pulling into our hotel parking lot
where we hook up with my buddy Jack and his awesome wife Jeanne.
"Hey Scott, what's that smell coming from the AC?"....................
We drive both cars over to Hershey Park (10min) and into the MASSIVE ALL PAVED
AND FUCKING HOT parking lot.
"Hey Scott, what the fuck is that ka-crunching noise coming from the
AC????????" ......................
(can't and don't want to think about it now).
Into the park and immediately onto a roller coaster called The Great Bear, one
of those that you sit with your legs hanging.  It had two stomach turning
drops and two loop-de-loops, one of which goes into one of two twists.
We all were a bit fucked up after that.
Jack and I then hit the flume ride to get cooled down.  Mission accomplished.
After some grub, it's time to head back to the hotel and get set up in our
rooms and meet Stu and Lori.
I park my Jeep at the hotel, and don't want to think about the very ugly
noises coming from under the hood.
Stu and Lori are there, and after we all clean up, we gather in their room for
some beer and .........
Enrique and Ed arrive shortly after, and we head to the venue (In Jack's
truck).
Luckily we are able to park across the street from the venue in the "field
lot" and avoid the paved lot that was still radiating the days heat, and
probably would for the next week!.  Now this is nice.  It's hot, but there's a
breeze blowin'.  Great for partying.  Tonight, Stu is wearing the Union Jack
like a cape.  He is THE MIGHTY WHO STU !

<<<Legal Matter playing on oldies station as I write!!!!>>>

We get into the venue about 1/2 way through Plant's set.  He's doing a good
job.  It's quite the scene in the venue, and I always enjoy myself around
allot of people like this.  I ended up playing a shield to allow some guys to
sneak into the front sections.
We all run into Rich and and also Bill.  Everyone is way psyched.  I'm
actually quite optimistic that Pete will kick even an additional notch
tonight.
When I finally go to my seat right before The Who get on stage, I find that Ed
and Enrique were there as well.  Awesome, they were able to sneak up.  The
lights go down, we're set.

The Show:
These are our best seats.  12th row in front of Pete.
"FUCK OFF, ALL OF YOU!!!!" is how Pete opened the show.  The first attempt at
the opening chord of ICE, his guitar wasn't on.  The second attempt, he broke
his pick.  He was pissed.  It was great.  We later wondered why he hadn't used
the local vernacular of "FUCK OF, ALL OF *YOUINS* !!!"  ;)
Not to get into details, but I'm tellin' ya, this show was amazing.  Easily
one of the greatest performances I've ever seen from Pete and Roger and Zak.
The volume at Hershey was LOUD.  CHEST THUMP-P-P-PING LOUD.  Pino was WAY up
as well.
Again, all three of us (Stu, Scott, and myself) were in immediate agreement
after the show that this was the best show of the three.  Pete was simply that
good, and the rest of the band followed in step.
Full long and extended Birdman from Pete, and a whole bunch of flexed muscle
punching poses.  Attitude!  The tension kept being pushed up to the point
where I really felt that Pete could haul off and smash one at the end of WGFA.
His guitar work was clean, with fast fingered solos always finding their mark
with out any dead ends or fumbled fingers.  It was inventive, and violent,
with beautiful subtleties thrown in.
Pino was even nailing some inventive bass runs.
THEY NEED TO LET HIM OFF HIS LEASH AND HAVE A GO!  :-)
I did notice that Pete and Pino don't really get that much eye contact.  Must
be too painful for Pete.
Interestingly, the Hershey crowd was pretty quiet during the John tribute
photo's.
The 100+ degree heat where you buy beer and go piss made this venue a pain
(small complaint).

After the show we run into Alan and Terrance near the entrance and all have an
energized chat.  A great show, and everyone was pretty pleased, and down right
giddy!  We stand around and chat for a bit, and then head back to the lawn for
some more hanging out and chattin' it up, and drinkin' and basically just
having a fucking great time.
Back at the hotel, the party continues...and continues...and continues....

Headin' Home (7/30):
I wake up early.
I'm nervous about my Jeep.
Pack it up and start it, it sounds a bit rough, but better.
I need to get north to get close to Binghamton, NY where there's a dealer.
After some long (good thing) goodbyes, I shove off for VT (Stu would drop
Schrade off at BWI on his way home to DC).
2 hours later, just south of Binghamton, I've got to call it quits.  My AC
burns out.  Bearings are shot.  Replacement compressor wont get here until the
next morning.  <Big Sigh>.
I enter my hotel room and immediately think about how Pete must feel night
after night in a lonely hotel room.  This sucks.  Left to think about it all.

Now, I'm at the Dinner across from the hotel having breakfast (7/31), and
waiting for my Jeep.
It could have been worse.
Just another Tricky Day.
But what a grand time we all had.  The band on stage is alive!  Call 'em TD or
DT, or whatever.  But, call them ferocious, powerful, and full of energy.
Just got to get used to it.

To all the people I met, met for the second tour, partied with, talked with,
you are all great fans and people.  It's because of you that I had such a
wonderful time.  I'm glad we could all share the emotion.  It helped me, I
hope it helped you too.

Cousin Schrade, you were the perfect touring companion.  I know Stu feels the
same.  This was a crazy, emotional tour, and I'm glad I was able to share it
with both of you.  Although I'm not optimistic, I do hope we can do it again.
Maybe next time in a Winnegego type vehicle!!!!!!  Can't wait to see
pictures.

Alan, I was glad to see you smilin' at Hershey.  Time will help it all.

Keets (fellow Corn Shucker) *always* a pleasure.  What a wonderful person and
class act.

Jeff/Buck and Melanie, your generosity and hospitality are unsurpassed.
Because I know you probably never will tell me how much I owe for the Lobbies,
I'm sending you a check.  :-p  Thanks again for opening your house, and for
the great time.

Joe L.,  in Philly, always great to see you.  The time was too short.  Just
glad we parked together.  Thanks again for hooking us up *again* with tix.

Jon in Mi, hard core!  12 hours each way!  You get the "Energizer Bunny"
award.  Great to meet you, and glad I could get you that ticket.  Always great
to experience a Who show with new Who-friends.

Rich M., always smiling and psyched!!!!!  Wish the parking lots at Hershey had
worked out better.

Magik, you da man.  I feel your pain.  Keep trying to put yourself in Pete and
Roger's shoes.  Don't be too rough on the boys at MSG.  Hopefully you too will
start to get psyched again.  The band needs that.  We need that.
Always great to see you.

Lastly, to Stu:
Well my brotha, our 4th tour together.  Can't do them without you.  Glad we
always do them right.  You were right, the emotions would be across the
board.
See you soon.  Before Christmas?????

Well, my Jeep will be here any minute.  A thumbs up from Tom the awesome
mechanic!
The Beatles "Gettin' Better All The Time" (something like that) is playin' on
the radio.  Time to go home.
A page turns.  A new chapter begins.  Ethan, my first, will be born very
soon.
It really is getting better all the time.

Peace and love to you all.
Love to The Who.
Rock on in NY!

Kevin in VT