Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #236

In a message dated 9/6/01 8:36:08 PM, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< Oh my god.  This is unbelieveable.  I don't hate the beatles at all- but
comments like this are why i started this argument several weeks ago.  the
music is incredible in any venue.  their early stuff- despite its
beatlishness- was still great and edgy.  their hard sound had to be toned
down in the studio because the "pretty" beatles stuff was what was selling
and they had to eat.  even so- stuff like "i'm the face," "my generation",
"can't explain" were equal to anything the beatles put out- and stood on
their own without live performances.  >>

You missed my point!  Yes, I Can't Explain and My Generation were great songs
but The Who were not going to become famous simply on their talent.
Okay...maybe a few years down the road they would have, but they needed a
gimmick to get immediately noticed. Pete accidently hit the ceiling of a club
while performing and the place went wild..then something clicked..hey we will
do more of this so that we will get noticed.  They even went into debt so
that he could smash guitars to gain popularity.  Pete explains all of  this
in the movie The Kids Are All Right.  You're right..I love the show that they
put on and they are a greatest band to see live...but iin the beginning they
did it to gain popularity.  All The Beatles had to do was to come out and
play..no gimmicks...just THEM...they would electrify the audience and they
would still be able to do it today if Lennon was alive.