Re: Afternoon Napster

> >From what I understand, there are already more efficient and far-reaching
>search engines for mp3s than Napster.

>There are, but there IS a difference between one single location and a
>thousand different ones. If any become "central" locations, they will be
>targeted as well. Searching the Web for music comes to a point when the
>search is more trouble than just buying it. Napster has changed that, for
>the moment.

What do you mean by "central locations?"  More companies like Napster?  The
next generation is already out there and operating.  Gnutilla will steal any
kind of software for you, from anywhere on the web.

> > has positioned themselves as "subversives" by marketing on the Internet.
>
>That in itself is a marketing strategy.

Typical, though.  A couple of articles have noted that they did something
similar in the sixties by aligning with pirate radio.

> > All MP3 has to do is sign a couple or three disgruntled major artists
>and they're in business.
>
>Not really. The bands will want more money than a $10 per person fee will
>get them.

MP3.com is selling original cds.  I believe the deal right now is that they
split the take on cd sales 50/50 with their artists.  I'm sure that won't
last once they're established and successful, but for now it's a great
improvement over the standard contract.

>Radio/TV and music labels haven't been
> > especially open to older artists now for a while, and the new system is.

>This isn't true. Look at VH1 and there are also labels like Rhino which
>specialize in older bands.

What you see is a drop in the bucket.  It's true VH1 has the documentary
series, but when I catch the videos on VH1, I been getting a lot of Ms.
Britney.  Before that it was the Spice Girls.  I believe they had the boys
on a while back and I got to see N'Sync.  It just seems to me they might be
catering a little bit to the current money-makers.  Rhino did exploit a
niche very well, but it's still a fairly small company within the industry.

> > Napster is just a technology. Every time technology advances, the
> > dinosaurs try to stop it.
>
>Wanting to get paid for your work is not being a dinosaur.

It's not, but clinging to the old system (which doesn't pay too well
anymore) IS being a dinosaur.  The smart, agile, sharp-toothed little
animals are already staking out new territory.

Notice nobody has mentioned that "dinosaur" word around TED just lately.
Once they decided to make the move back into business, they're looking
pretty lean and mean.  I'm beginning to suspect they're as inventive with
marketing as they are with music.

> > in, it is whether they make good music. Get rid of the record
> > companies, and a lot of artists can actually do better.
>
>Probably, but a lot of great artists will never be heard as well.
>TANSTAAFL, you know. With a slogan like that, I'm surprised you have this
>position.

Get rid of the current record companies and a new structure will form up to
provide the same services.  I think it's starting to become visible just
lately.

> > The record companies, MTV, and the radio stations are primarily
> > filters that keep you from hearing anything they don't want you to
> > hear.
>
>That's true. But they also allow you to hear things you otherwise wouldn't.
>Like the Townshend Lifehouse show. Like The Who live at Largo Maryland
>1973. Or Pinball Wizard, for that matter, the song which got them out of
>their tremendous debt.

Mostly they seem very tightly controlled right now.  From the consumer side,
you can't even call in a request to the local radio station--"Sorry, it's
not on our marketing department's playlist!"  It must be even more
infurating to artists.  Hence the stampede to the internet.

keets