Re: A short Napster

Ok, it took me awhile, but i finnaly bought The Who
BBC sessions.  and in the little booklet, it talks
about some stuff which i think goes well with the
napster thing.  it talks about the death of pirate
radio, and how the Who were the first to test the
bureacracy by recording at independant studios along
with how The Who Sell Out was a tribute to the pirate
broadcasters of past.  just a final thought from me on
the napster thing.

SId in Chicago

--- "Kevin B. O'Brien" <kob1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:34:27 -0400, "Mark R. Leaman"
> <mleaman@sccoast.net> , late of Pablo Fanques Fair
> wrote:
>
> >> My main hope at this point is that the digital
> technology will
> >> destroy the big record companies. It just might.
> And that is what
> >> they are afraid of.
> >
> >And what I'm afraid of too, because it means the
> end of big bands as well.
> >No more "Who's" for future generations. You think
> this is a GOOD thing? And
> >you're the guy who won't make copies of copyrighted
> material????? What do
> >you think Napster is all about????
>
> Napster is just a technology. Every time technology
> advances, the
> dinosaurs try to stop it. DAT they pretty much
> stopped, videotape
> they tried to stop, and now with DVD they are trying
> the same thing.
> I have no interest in copying copyrighted material
> if I can purchase
> that material legitimately. I happen to belong to a
> performing
> group. We often tape our performances, and make
> copies for the
> members of the group. But we cannot make digital
> tapes because the
> RIAA pretty much made it impossible for anyone to
> buy a digital tape
> deck without paying protection money to them first,
> and that puts it
> out of my reach. Fortunately, the price of CD
> burners has been
> coming down, so I will finally be able to make
> digital copies of my
> own music without paying off the RIAA.
>
> Secondly, why should I give a damn about big bands,
> if indeed this
> means the end of big bands? It isn't their bigness I
> am interested
> in, it is whether they make good music. Get rid of
> the record
> companies, and a lot of artists can actually do
> better. Aimee Mann,
> for instance, started her own company and sells
> through her Web
> site. She gets $2 on every CD she sells, and doesn't
> have all the
> bullshit from the company. The last record she
> recorded under
> contract the company wouldn't even release, for
> heaven's sakes. She
> bought it back from them, released it herself, and
> it is doing well
> both critically and commercially. And I note that
> neither The Who
> nor Pete are under contract, and are selling their
> latest release on
> the Web. Hmmm....I wonder that is all about?
>
> The record companies, MTV, and the radio stations
> are primarily
> filters that keep you from hearing anything they
> don't want you to
> hear. I say screw them all.
>

> --
> Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
> [...]

=====
Life is a dark, desolate plain.  Life is also a bright and shinning garden.  Which one you live is up to you.--bJb