Re: Excuse me Senator, but you're no Partidge family...

>Yes, it's performance art. Everything's art; it's just a matter of degrees.

Let's try an example outside of music.  I'm sure everyone would agree that
pastel drawing is art, but is electrical drafting?  Everybody's seen those
little wiring diagrams that come with your stereo.  It's drawing, but is it
really a form of art?

> > If Pete used a distributor, he'd have to pay them part of the profit,
>and this way he gets the whole price, less what he's had to pay for
>manufacturing and packaging.  Music from the artist, direct to you.

>So why isn't it cheaper?

It's the accepted market price.  It would be bad business to ask less and
pass up a profit.

It's hard to say what his expenses have been.  I'd expect small runs of cds
to be more expensive per disk than large runs, plus he's had to  pay
employees to handle the shipping and handling and pay the start up costs on
the project and so on.  Luckily there's been very little advertising cost.
In a competitive situation, I'm sure he could seriously undercut a record
company, which has big overhead, what with the high-paid executives and all,
but in this situation, a lower price might actually reduce the value of the
product.  Let's go $6 on the whole thing.  What would you expect from a
Lifehouse set that cost you a dollar a disk?  What would music critics have
to say?

keets