Re: Still More Lifehouse (Plus Some Tommy)

> > but I don't think Ken Russell did well for TOMMY (the movie).  The TOMMY
>film is messy and sort of ugly without really clarifying the story.
>
>I disagree.  The movie went so far as to change a few things in order to
>clear up the story, which I think it did.

That's fairly standard when you translate from one medium to another.  For
example, movies that slavishly follow a novel are generally awful.  QUAD did
it better though.

>Question: Am I the only one on this list who likes the TOMMY movie?  I
>think it's wonderful.

Actually it seems very popular, and a number of people have admitted that it
hooked them on The Who.  It's a matter of taste, maybe, but I thought it
deserved a more subtle and complex treatment.

> > that's cleaner than what the grid folk think is out there.  The
>characters find each other through music and break the bonds of the grid
>with the one note in a grand concert at the end.  From all indications,
>they end up with something better.
>
>Nice summation, keets.  They should've had *you* write the radio play.

Why, thank you.  ;)

>Yeah, but this is true only in hindsight.  No one thought back in 1978 that
>WAY was a continuation of LIFEHOUSE themes.  Besides, you skipped the WHO
>BY LIFEHOUSE album from '75 !!!!

I don't guess anybody knew until Pete let the secret out.

What's the WHO BY LIFEHOUSE album?  Duh.  Am I missing something monumental?

> > So then we get to Lifehouse 2000.
>
>The worst one yet.

I love it.

> > but instead of finding good things out there, our hero
> > gets further and further lost in a gray and desolate world.
>
>As does the listener.

>Excellent commentary, keets.  I wish LIFEHOUSE gave *me* that kind
>of energy to reflect on it like you have.

Great atmosphere, and there are shadows that move behind the words.  Don't
get me wrong--I have my complaints about the play, but I love the way Pete's
mind works.  Anybody for a novelization?  :)

keets