Business

>Rog and John could still tour it w/o Pete.

They'd have to have his permission, though.

>>The problem with taking chances is that you can lose a bundle.
>
>Like any business venture, it could be handled correctly and make money.
>Even the some-what successful QUAD tour wasn't marketed properly. Daltrey's
>symphonic tour was doomed, because you're talking about transporting and
>housing how many people? And not just a bunch of Rock guys either; there IS
>a level to symphonic musicians!

RD didn't haul those around, though, did he?  Weren't the classical
musicians provided locally (although they still have to be paid)?  Somehow I
don't think making money was Roger's major goal on the tour.  It seemed sort
of recreational.

A lot of what TED do these days seems like they're out there because they
want to be, and not because it'll make tons of money.  All they want is to
break even, and this kind of attitude makes it even more of a risk to use
their own money.  If you've got a money-making machine and a sharp business
plan, then you can expect a good return on your own investment, but if
you're just planning to go around playing some music that maybe nobody will
like very much, you'd better share the costs.

>On the other hand, he could have hired a guitar, bass, and drummer and made
>money.

Yeah, but that's less fun.

> > I think the study included all of popular music, not just rock--which
>makes it even scarier for the establishment.
>
>My understanding is that Dance/Urban is the number one seller in new
>stores, and it's number 100 in here. So my thinking is: people are getting
>their Rock from used stores, because it doesn't HAVE to be brand new, while
>they get the D/U from the Mall because it's boring after a few months.

It looks like people share their cds around, too--trade, tape, swap, buy and
sell.  Whatever, it's not something the record companies are pleased with.

> > Hard to get out of his contract.  Expensive legal hassle, and etc.
>
>I feel quite sure his original contract with WB wasn't for this many
>albums. This isn't something that happened overnight.
>
> > Huh?
>
>I don't understand what you don't understand (and no, that's not one of my
>"stupid lyrics."). As a business owner who wants to stay in business in
>case CDs go the way of the dodo, I've started carrying DVD movies...and,
>like music, DVD movies are an interest of mine. Therefore I can "feed my
>habit" and make money doing it. Free music, free movies. Now, if I could
>just sell drugs...just kidding, folks...

Huh? <g>

My question was (I think), about how Tom Petty's situation didn't happen
overnight.  You'd figure his original contract might have had an option for
extensions, or he might have signed a new one.  Whichever, he's still tied
up legally.

Until very recently, though, nobody would even have thought to cover
internet distribution in their contract, so the provisions would be a little
strained in that area, and the companies would have to use intimidation to
an extent to maintain their control of the artist.  As I recall, Petty said
he figured it was about the same as giving away promotional copies to radio
stations, but his company thought otherwise.

As for the DVDs, I think I read where record companies are going to that
format for music.  This must be so we all have to buy new sound equipment,
of course, but also they think it'll be easier to control.

>Something that sells like mad one week can sit around the next.

What causes it, do you think?  Media event?  New release?  Air time on the
radio?  MTV?

>>It's hard for artists to build up any kind of following this way.
>
>Like I said before, the artists themselves wait too long between albums and
>lose their audience. The Who suffered from one album a year, even back in
>the `60s, while their peers were pumping out at least two plus singles.

I agree that it's important to stay in the public eye, and pumping out
albums is a visible strategy these days for new groups.  It really puts the
artist in a bind, though.  Can you really maintain a level of creativity
that way?  It's kind of hard to rush the gestation period for quality
material.  Somebody might have an album or so worth of song ideas stores up,
but after a while the content starts to run a little thin.  Eventually you'd
have to make the choice between quality and quantity--or maybe just burn
out.

One thing that reduced the number of albums The Who put out is that Pete did
(almost) all the writing, so they were limited to what he could  produce.
If all of them had been songwriters or if they had used a collaborative
approach, there'd be more material, but it'd be different--not The Who we
know.

keets