Re: The Who -- Books

: Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:00:04 +0100
: From: "Sanderson, Jay" <JSanderson@london.att.com>
: Subject: The Who -- Books
:
: I just bought "Dear Boy - The life of Keith Moon", just
: wondering if anyone has read it, and if they thought it was any good,
: also what other books are out there?
:
I've read the American release of it, called "Moon: The life and death of a rock legend", and
thought it was very well written, although the 2nd half of the book, which mostly chronicles his
decline, kind of reads like an autopsy.  It was very interesting to read how some of his publicised
antics turned out to be fabricated, or just "enhanced", such as his infamous 21st birthday party at
the Holiday Inn hotel in Flint, Michigan.  Certain things really did happen, and certain things
didn't.

I've also read Dougal Butler's book, which to me is far more entertaining than this one, but not as
well written.  Dave Marsh's book about the Who is a mixed bag.  I haven't read any of the others
(Behind Blue Eyes or Horse's Neck).  I think I've got the Richard Barnes book "Maximum R&B", but I
can't find it.  Looks like it's in mom's attic with all the other lost Who stuff I can't seem to
find.

- Sterling
"Let's have a solo, eh?" Pete Townshend 1978
http://members.tripod.com/lomara