Re: Lifehouse, Dance Music, Daltrey Speaks, Hendrix's Blues

At 13:53 -0800 3/3/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:22:48 PST
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>
>Silly me.  I thought disco was a form of rock music, too.

Blecch.  Disco was founded as a reaction against and away from rock after
its years of associated political activity and wrestling with large and
important issues.  I suspect that devotees of disco would reject your
statement as forcefully as do I, a devotee of rock.

For an IMO unholy example of the crosscurrents between the two, Nik Cohn,
the man whose suggestion to Pete led to the writing of Pinball Wizard, also
wrote the short story which was made into the movie "Saturday Night Fever".
He wrote a two-page article about the resurgence of disco for an issue of
LIFE magazine in July 1998, defending it and arguing its good side.  If
there's interest I'll scan and post it.

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)