Re: Lifehouse, Dance Music, Daltrey Speaks, Hendrix's Blues

>It's never been done WELL, and I am such an optimist I'd imagine that
PT would do it right, finally. He should let me do a treatment; I
guarantee it would be the best movie of the year.

Um, no offense, but I think I'll hang on for Pete's version. <g>

>> Hmmm.  Dance music isn't rock?
>
>Not that kind of Dance Music, which has its roots in Disco.

Silly me.  I thought disco was a form of rock music, too.

>> I read somewhere recently that Roger doesn't think he does good
>> interviews.
>
>I think he's right.

Do you think Pete and John do good interviews?  Or is Pete right, and
they should all stay off TV?

>> There's lots of ground in between, too, where you pick up some of the
sound or some of the technique and apply it to something else.

>I believe it's generally accepted that KWS, SRV, and JL are all Blues
>artists. I'm not going to try to define Blues for you; it's something
you should be able to hear. Rock N Roll and later Rock came from Blues,
so there are similar aspects, but it is NOT the same thing.

Okay, it's not the same thing.  But there's blues and then there's
blues, and a lot of assignments are artificial.  If you want to be
really strict, traditional blues has a syncopated shuffle beat and a
twelve bar chord progression (with turn around), plus some particular
chord intervals which give it the distinctive sound.  I don't think KWS
or SRV do this, and JL doesn't seem to worry much about it, either.  You
have to look around amongst those old black guys to find the pure stuff.

Contemporary blues has a lot more variation and mixes blues technique
with rock, country or jazz, so it's often hard to classify what's being
played as one or the other.  If rock isn't selling well, then you can
always call yourself a blues artist.  Besides that, blues is a fine old
tradition and a great resource for a songwriter in search of material.
You could use the beat without the sound ("The Music Must Change") or
the chord intervals with a rock beat.  It's hard to say that sound makes
the definition.

>> And Hendrix did Townshend.  Everybody has to build on something.
>
>Granted, but how many Who songs did Hendrix do? These guys are doing
>Hendrix songs.

Do you consider Hendrix a rock or a blues artist?

keets