War (what is it good for), Simon, Innocence, Solo, & La-La-Lies

> Yeah, but it starts off with that statement about the war--that's the
> overarching symbol in the whole thing.

Keets:

OK...I suppose this comes under the heading of "perspective." The war in T
is WWI (album) or WWII (movie), and while I'm extremely against military
action ("Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."), both were
worthy conficts which I'm sure I would have been involved with had I been
at the correct age. My father was, in fact, a "war hero" in WWII, and I'm
proud of that.
Viet Nam changed the entire outlook of people concerning war. I don't see
the WW's as violent actions, but as necessary operations. And I definitely
don't see TOMMY as an anti-war statement. T's father was a war hero.
You are free to see it differently, of course.

> <sigh>  A matter of taste.  I'd still like to hear some more laid back
> stuff.

That's fine. I just think Rog does what he does with The Who better than he
does anything else. So the more Who-like the solo album, the better. On the
other hand, I feel the opposite way in regard to Townshend and Entwistle.

> All of them.  It's why Pete's so good.  He translates right from the
> subconscious into verse.  Real time, too, live, in concert.

How can I argue that?

> How's that?  His career's as long as Pete's and I still think he writes
> good stuff.  Liked his CAPEMAN songs.  Too bad he couldn't get along
> with Broadway.

I haven't heard those songs, nor did I see the play, but IMHO Simon's stuff
from the second S&G LP till the last was extraordinary, but BRIDGE wasn't
great and his early solo stuff was hit and miss. GRACELAND is incredible,
but nothing since has impressed me. I'll be the first to admit I'm jaded.

> Oh yeah?  What's your drug of choice?

That most innocent of "drugs," according to research less harmful than
aspirin: Pot. Some research even indicates it increases the lifespan by
slightly slowing the metabolism.

> Plus, look what he's done for the cigar industry!

Hmmm...

> I really can't understand why solo Who CD's are so widely liked.

Carl:

I can answer that for you. Because they're so good.

> I'll concede the technical crap to make a point.  That man got up
> there in front of the American people and said "I have never had sexual
> relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky", and that was just a flat-out
> fucking LIE!!

Carolyn:

He was in a trap. Had he told the truth, both there and in the Paula Jones
testimony, he would have been taken down. At least he had a chance to get
through it this way. I am not happy that he chose this course...he should
have said it was no one's damned business, but even that would have been
bad. The problem I have is that Goldberg and Tripp conspired to bring down
the President, which is treason, and Starr also collaborated with the Jones
attorneys (who had no other way of knowing about Monica) which is also a
crime, and that is how this all became what it is today. The President
showed bad judgement in regard to his sexual behavior, but he (nor any
person) should have been put in the position he was as a result. Starr
created the "crime," intentionally, having a 50/50 chance Clinton would
lie.
Again, legally this means nothing since it was ruled as irrelevent. The
entire impeachment process has no meaning, except to show how strong the
Christian Coalition has become.

> And I BELIEVED THE BASTARD!!  Now I can't believe a
> single bloody thing he ever says.  I want him OUT.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't. I think he's a human being who isn't
"above" the average person, whereas his opponents seem to think they know
what's best for us, and are constantly showing me (at least) that they are
not as intelligent as I am (not that I'm any great intellect).
I think all of the GOP should be out. ALL.

> Yeah, they lost it there.  But they've gotten it all back with UP.
> Which, I guess, brings me back to "do"....

For me, they've ruined it for themselves. HI-FI sounded like a collection
of rejects from GREEN to MONSTER, and UP just hasn't done anything for me.
But I haven't listened to it a lot either.

> And just so this message will have SOME Who connection,
> has anyone else out there heard the "music only" CD of
> PSYCHODERELICT?  Is this still in print, and if not, what's
> it worth?

I've got it, and like it much better than the dialogue version. I don't
know if it's in print, but the other isn't. I have it here, should anyone
be looking for it just let me know. I'll give you a good price. Also Who &
related:
TOMMY soundtrack, Daltrey: UARM & A CELEBRATION.

BTW, I bought a DVD player yesterday so if the person who posted the site
with IOW could kindly repost, I'd appreciate it.