Re: Rock Operas, etc.

At 02:08 PM 10/16/98 -0400, Carolyn wrote:
>guys like Davies and McCartney
>really don't have the kind of talents it takes to write
>good "classical" music.  Their strength is their catchy
>melodies, not their ability to write variations on themes
>with inversions and fugues and arrange pieces for an
>orchestra or string quartet or whatever and everything
>else necessary for a classical work.  This has nothing to
>do with whether they're working class or upper-class or
>whatever; they just haven't been trained to do that kind
>of composing.  And I think they'd be better off artistically
>sticking with what they do best: rock and roll.

This doesn't necessarily contradict what I was saying.  I have no problem
being critical of any rock 'n' roller who tries something genre-busting and
fails.  Once with the "Liverpool Oratorio" was enough.  However, I'm not
saying it's impossible for some future rock 'n' roller to write a decent
symphony.  If many rockers tried it, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them
actually succeeded.  I think the chances for that happening double if you
have knowledgable critics who instead of instantly dismissing their efforts
just because they're rockers, actually listen and tell them why they didn't
succeed.

			-Brian in Atlanta