Rock Operas, etc.

Brian:

>This doesn't necessarily contradict what I was saying.  I have no problem
being critical of any rock 'n' roller who tries something genre-busting and
fails.  Once with the "Liverpool Oratorio" was enough.  However, I'm not
saying it's impossible for some future rock 'n' roller to write a decent
symphony.  If many rockers tried it, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them
actually succeeded.  I think the chances for that happening double if you
have knowledgable critics who instead of instantly dismissing their efforts
just because they're rockers, actually listen and tell them why they didn't
succeed.<

You're right, of course, and I certainly do think they shouldn't be
ridiculed before their work is heard.  However, I think it's pretty
long odds of anything really great coming out of it.  Try to imagine
John Tavener, Carl Davies, or any modern composer writing
and performing a rock album, and you'll see that it doesn't really
work the other way, either. <g>

Alan:

>Oh my...classical can be every bit as rebellious as rock with a clear
social agenda...Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, and Lizst were all considered
outrageous or scandalous in their time.  "The Rites of Spring" provoked
riots in the audience when it was premiered early this century.  The
division line is between music (or art in general) that pushes the limits
of what is considered socially acceptable and art that does not -- not
between art produced in the last 50 years and art produced before that
time.<

You're absolutely right, of course (as I just said to Brian <g>), and
I knew that must've been on my mind when I typed those words;
hence the disclaimer.  I was reminded of "The Rites Of Spring"
yet again when Dylan's LIVE 1966 was released last week....now
there's controversy for you.  Still, it's harder & harder nowadays
to define "classical" composers.  Was George Gershwin a classical
composer?  I'd almost define his work as jazz.  What about Wynton
Marsalis?  That may be considered "classical" in another 75 years.
Who knows?  But I'd define anything with plugged in guitars as
rock & roll.  Also, rock tends to have lyrics, while most classical
pieces aren't sung--yes, again, I know there are lots of exceptions.
Ah, I'll just concede the point & get out of here. <bg>

Thanks for the comments, both of you--I love a good discussion
about music!

--Carolyn
"The music must change, for we're chewing a bone"