Marshalls and amps

Mark : =

>I recall that in the mid-`60s at least
>Entwistle was using Marshalls. And that the band has been given credit
>or helping in the development

Yes you're right. In the mid sixties, PT needed more power for his shows.=

Jim Marshall bought for him a powerfull amp : the model 1959 Super
Lead Plexiglass. It's a 100 watts valve head with two channels. =

The nickname Plexi came from the plexiglass control panel.
I don't know if PT used it for a long time; but this amp became
an essential part of Jimi Hendrix's sound.
There is another story about PT and Marshall.
PT ordered to Marshall a big cabinet with height speakers.
They didn't want because of the weight. So they made
two cabinets with 4 speakers. It was the first stack in music history.
PT didn't like it so stopped the deal with Marshall.

I think he changed for Hiwatt which is another famous
english manufacturer. You can hear the wonderfull sound
of these amps in Live at Leeds or at Isle of Wight.
In my opinion, PT had his best sound with these amps.

To complete this info about amps, PT used a completely different =

setup to record Who's next and Quadrophenia.It was aA 1957 Gretsch =

guitar and a late fifties tweed Fender Bandmaster plus an =

Edwards volume pedal. This info can be found in
Guitar World of may 1996.

Yves-Pierre