Re: If this goes on...

> I was under the (false?) impression that Talmy owned the tapes
>because he
>had financed those sessions that produced the recordings,but I admit
>that I
>could be very wrong about this.I am rather foggy on the Who's earliest
>years,as it's not my personal favorite period for the band and it's
>music.I'd be happy to hear exactly why he does own the tapes.
>
>                   Long Live Rock,
>
>                          I.S.

Here's why I think he has the tapes.  Shel was an independent producer.
That is, he would sign bands, hire a studio (usually I.B.C., I think) and
record the band, then use the tapes to get the band on a label with whom
he had contacts.  This is different from George Martin who was an
employee of Parlophone Records.

Part of the deal he made with the bands and the studios was that, as an
independent producer, the tapes were his property.  Although the band and
the labels could put out records from copies of the mixed tracks, they
couldn't access the original master tapes unless they approched him.

			-Brian in Atlanta