Re: More Tricky Baba Songs?

>MarK:
>
>Actually, I hadn't fully made the connection between Meher Baba and "ATD" in
>my own mind until two things happened:  (1) You mentioned him and the song in
>the same breath, and (2) I had recently been thinking about possible
>interpretations of various early 1980s songs in the wake of Pete's new
>"LMLOTD" liner notes and the recent discussions on this list regarding the
>meanings of "YBYB" and "Athena".  My previous feelings regarding "LMLOTD"
>were similar to yours, but I've gained a new appreciation of it, especially
>with the dandy new RC Cola Mix.  By the way, to me it always sounded like the
>line "This is no social crisis" was sung by Roger with a tinge of sarcasm
>(reinforced by the way Pete repeats "no crisis"), as if to say 'let me try to
>put this concept in words you Silicon Valley airheads might understand.'  And
>Pete's "This is true" line was also a phrase I had heard in common use only
>around 1980--maybe he picked up both phrases while being Exquisitely Bored In
>California!  I don't find the entire song to be sarcastic, however, and
>overall to me it's a recommendation to be Content and not constantly expect
>immediate and full gratification, which is a distasteful attitude Pete
>undoubtedly encountered on the west coast.

Rich B:

I don't know why I never made a connection between Baba and ATD, considering
that's one of the things I like about Don't Let Go The Coat. One thing; I
haven't gotten COOLWALKINGetc yet. It's hard for me to pay full price when
I'm sitting in a room with 4000 CDs I own that sell for $6 or $7. Two Pete
CDs, too: PSYCHO & ALL THE BEST COWBOYS. I suppose that one day, when I'm
feeling secure enough in my business (which is performing a bit over what
I'd hoped, actually), I'll go buy it. Maybe when the new QUAD comes out.

>In thinking about Pete's upbeat/happy/hopeful songs, "ICE" was one that I
>listed as having far less pain than many of Pete's other songs (e.g., just
>about all of Quad).

Oh, yeah! It's all the pain that can fit into three minutes during 1965,
though. Or even until after the Velvet Underground appeared on the scene.

>But even some of these are like "Our Love Was" where Pete
>demonstrates the extent of his joy by spending half the song contrasting it
>with his disappointment.

It's what Townshend does best. He can make even However Much I Booze a
celebration of the realization of his character. How about Somebody Saved Me?

>The thing I always loved about so many Who songs, and
>that I noticed in them as compared to so many rock songs that were
>negative-only, was Roger's/Pete's defiance and determination, rather than
>defeat and depression (and resignation or hopelessness, but those words don't
>begin with "d").

Rock, with its rebellious nature, had to be negative (at least in terms of
defiance of the culture and authority). But you're right; Pete overcomes
this and makes it positive.

>As you can tell, Pete's Baba-tinged songs intrigue me, but I agree with your
>generalizations about listeners not usually being interested in being taught
>or informed.

I'm talking about the great unwashed CD-buying public. Look what they did
with Frampton, for instance. A good example there; they loved him completely
and then tossed him aside. The Who have survived that sort of treatment,
mainly (I think) because their fans look for more, expect more, and (for the
most part) get more.

                   Cheers                   ML