Re: More Tricky Baba Songs?

> I don't know why I never made a connection between Baba and ATD, considering
> that's one of the things I like about Don't Let Go The Coat. One thing; I
> haven't gotten COOLWALKINGetc yet. It's hard for me to pay full price when
> I'm sitting in a room with 4000 CDs I own that sell for $6 or $7. Two Pete
> CDs, too: PSYCHO & ALL THE BEST COWBOYS. I suppose that one day, when I'm
> feeling secure enough in my business (which is performing a bit over what
> I'd hoped, actually), I'll go buy it. Maybe when the new QUAD comes out.

Now how many of those CD's would you say are quality music?  Also, do you
already have the Depeche Mode, Pobert Palmer, and Robert Plant collection
that is present in virtually every single used CD store?

> >As you can tell, Pete's Baba-tinged songs intrigue me, but I agree with your
> >generalizations about listeners not usually being interested in being taught
> >or informed.
>
> I'm talking about the great unwashed CD-buying public. Look what they did
> with Frampton, for instance. A good example there; they loved him completely
> and then tossed him aside. The Who have survived that sort of treatment,
> mainly (I think) because their fans look for more, expect more, and (for the
> most part) get more.

Actually, I think it's very interesting that the pop of the day rarely
survives--Cliff Richard, Peter Frampton, Toto, etc., while they can boast
a huge fan base at their peak, don't have much of an ability to hold on
to that fan base, whereas bands like the Who, while never having a
following huge enough to buy 20 billion copies of their live album, are
able to maintain a significantly-sized following long after disbanding.
Maybe rock endures while pop dies.

--LP.