Re: LAL photo mistake?

At 15:54 25/03/96 -0500, you wrote:

>The discussion of how LAL was recorded was started off by someone who noted
that
>the photo of the Leeds Hall shows cabinet amps placed around the hall.  I took
>a look at that photo for the first time a few minutes ago, and I don't think
>the interpretation is correct.  If we are looking at the same photo, remember
>that this is a college hall, built primarily for lecturing.  It has doors all
>around for people to get in and out, not amps.  To me, the stage set looks
>very standard at that show.
>
>Now perhaps we are looking at 2 different shots - if so, Never mind.
>
>- Mason
>
>I was the one who said there were speakers around the hall, based on the
recollections of my friend Keith Hearn of Leeds, who had attended the show.
After Keith told me this( in a hotel bar after the close of a professional
conference we had both attended in Vancouver), I opened the LAL CD case
which I had with me (and which  had initially prompted our LAL discussion),
and we both looked for the first time at the booklet, and specifically the
photo on pg. 17, which I presume Mason is referring to as well. Keith said
to me," See, I told you." At the time, I was in a very good mood overall,
having just consumed a B.C. microbrewery beer and feeling its glow as well
of that of being in the presence of someone who had actually been at the
Leeds show, and I didn`t focus TOO closely at the picture, although it
seemed at a glance to confirm Keith`s recollection. Now that I look more
closely, I see in the centre of the picture, to the extreme right, two
objects between the hall`s support columns, either or both of which Keith
may have been referring to. One is circular and looks like it might be a
speaker; the other is a large, square, grill-like object, which may well be
a speaker. I have considered that the latter might be a radiator, but such
objects, when found in British rooms at all, tend to be puny (and rather
inefficient - sorry British list members), so I don`t think it`s a rad. So,
methinks Keith`s recollection was probably spot on and that there was a ring
of these circular and/or square speakers around the hall, each placed
between the hall supports (and possibly feeding back to those miked amps,
but that`s questionable as I`m sure now that artificial echo was added to
the LAL tracks, as earlier indicated). Anyway, because of the interest this
thread has elicited, I`m going to write Keith and ask if he would send me a
fuller recollection of this aspect of the show, and of the show in general,
for the edification of the list.......Gary M.