Re: Who influences the Beatles

>I'd think that overall the Beatles probably influenced the Who more than the
>other way around.  The Beatles did make it possible for other British bands
>to get big in the USA, they did use "Twist and Shout" as the end of their
>shows first, they did  start the whole idea of stadium shows.  Plus if you
>look at songwriting techniques, much of what Townshend did on the early Who
>singles is a lot like what the Beatles had done on their early singles.

Gary:

First of all, it's great to see someone else in SC on this list...that makes
three of us that I know of. If you get over to Mytrle Beach, come by my
store. Tim H. did last weekend, and it was great to meet him.
Now...I must disagree with you on the influence thing. As not to weary those
eyes on here who have seen me write this many times before, let my give you
the short version: The Beatles "opened the door" for British bands to make
it, that's true. But The Who were the first to get past the Chuck
Berry/Blues/R&B style of song...before The Beats; before everyone, with the
MG album. This not only influenced The Beatles, but every single band then
and beyond. A true musical revolution.
As I like to say: The Beatles opened the door; The Who smashed the wall out.
So John and Paul, as they wrote their songs after the `65 release of MG,
owed much to Pete and the boys. You can look at how the songs were before
and after MG and it becomes obvious (for any band).

 Cheers                 ML

NP: X, "Skin Deep Town"