Re: Who influences the Beatles

>Mark Leaman, Re:
>
>>As I like to say: The Beatles opened the door; The Who smashed the wall out.
>

>        Okay, that's true, but how did the Stones fit into this model?  I
>think the Stones were playing "Satisfaction" in the corner while The Who
>were changing the structure of the room by breaking down the walls.

Stacey:

In the scheme of things, and in the terms as we're discussing with it right
now, The Stones weren't all that innovative until `66...and even then, it
seemed (at times) a reflection of what The Beatles were doing (need I
mention SATANIC MAJESTY'S?). Recycling Blues, RnB, and Berry are exactly
what The Stones were doing, even after `65.
I give them credit for doing some great albums up to `74, but as an
innovative band I can't see them being any more important than The Yardbirds
(for instance).
That The Who and Kinks (the other two "biggies") weren't following The Beats
into psychedelia (or at least, to any significant degree) shows that they
were taking their own courses.
However, The Stones have been credited with the Country influence of `68 in
Rock (BEGGAR'S BANQUET)...me, I'd have to give the nod to The Byrds.

       Cheers                           ML