Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 79

Eddie, re:

>  Knowing him and knowing the list has about 3000 members, I can say
>that it is nearly a full time job for him, and he is quite good at his job.

I can't say because I don't know him. However, give me a few days to "try his
patience" and we'll see! :)

Back in the "good ol' days" when Prodigy's bulletin boards were "free", we
finally taught the censors a thing or two and wore them right out. Then came
the price hike and my friends wanted to move to GEnie. What a Nazi nightmare!
You couldn't say "jack <Picard> without having one of these annoying little
sysop dweebs butt right into your conversation and "yell" at you. For
example, we had own little space called "Wolf's Den" (very long story) there,
and was a BBS far removed from all other BBS's because "our" Star Trek
discussion group said some "negative" things for which "other" Star Trek fans
might find "offensive". So, here we are away from everyone else and there was
an episode of "Deep Space Nine" where this Opaka piglet bit the dust. I said
something to the effect of "I was getting tired of watching that troll, I'm
glad she's off the show." and it was like the "Spanish Inquisition!" The
sysop(s) came right into our discussion, grinding it to a hault, with, "HOW
CAN YOU SAY THAT!!! THIS WOMAN WAS A WONDERFUL CHARACTER!!! DON'T EVER CALL
HER A 'TROLL' AGAIN!!! To which I replied, "She was a 'troll', look up the
meaning in the dictionary, you nitwit!" We then got a whole lecture about
"libel" and "slander" and... (we were talking about "fictional" TV
characters...) Mind you, we were PAYING to be on this service and we're
getting harassed by the people who are supposed to be running it! Eventually,
we left for AOL as it was impossible to have a simple coversation without
these Nazi idiots trying to control our thought patterns... In most
situations, censorship does NOT work...

-wf