Quad thoughts

A few thoughts on driving back from NY to Mass last night, through the driving
rain, with Quad on the CD player at full blast

I was once again blown away by the depth this work has.  Above and beyond
anything else Pete has written, this has a subtlety and complexity unmatched.
The whole work is written in the format of a classical symphony, in movements
and themes.. in fact at the time it was released it was referred to in several
ads as a "Rock Symphony".  The open ending, along with the complexity of
(what there is) for a resolution rings out with many great works of fiction.
In all, this is one of the most, if not the most, literary pieces ever done
in Rock and Roll.

That being said, I worr about what Pete may do to it in coming weeks, much the
same way I feel that the value of Tommy was destroyed by his lyric/plot changes.
When I saw the Broadway play I was offended, and remain angered, at what he
has done to the overall meaning.  While I am worried about the possibility of
a similar self-butchery of Quad, I also think that Pete cares enough about the
work NOT to do this.

Regardless, I am sure it will be magic to see the 3 of them on stage again
performing the mike twirls, incredible bass runs, and the depth of feeling
that goes with this work.

Seceral trailing thoughts -

(oops - that's several trailing thoughts) -

1) I hope they use a sampled tape of Keith's vocals for Bell Boy - no one
else should sing that part

2) What are they going to do besides Quad?  Will they perform a set of Who
material as well?  In both the 1970 Opera House tour and the 2 "Tommy" perform-
ances in '89 they opened with the opera, then did a set - my guess is they
do the same (perhaps in reverse order) this time around as well.

For those who asked - tickets tomorrow are on sale at all NYC ticketmasters -
you can call any of the #'s in the NY and NJ area.

Hope I haven't bored too many of you - it was a long drive...

- - Mason