Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey

>Chord structure..."way it's played is different"  uh okay, as you say you
>aren't the guitarist you want to be.  If you're a non-musician looking at
>this song you're no better than a typical moron.  It's the SAME!!!!!!  The
>phrasing may be slightly off, but it's the SAME on paper!!!

Ian:

Just because I can't explain in musical terms doesn't mean I can't hear the
difference between the styles. I can hear the obvious difference. Now,
you're claiming that the song is based on a Blues chord structure. It
doesn't sound like ANY of the Blues songs I've heard (and I've heard a few)
at all. I think you're being too general here (as in Thaag and the rock).
But it all boils down to this: MG is not a Blues song no matter what the
chords are, it doesn't sound like any Blues song ever recorded, and no RnR
song before it had broken the structural boundaries. That much cannot be denied.
Oh, and I'm just the guitarist I want to be. I don't need to study theory to
play what I want to play. I also don't need it to hear what I hear and grasp it.

>Why are you
>arguing with me when I point out the REAL differences in WHY this is the
>first true rock song???  Yet you, without the musical background is
>challenging me on it's blues influence?

Because you don't say enough by merely claiming the lyrics were "angry." So
are the lyrics for AAA, which came first. Does that make it the first Rock
song? That would blow YOUR story, wouldn't it?
And I am hardly without musical background. I've been studying it for some
30 years. I haven't studied guitar playing, but that doesn't mean I have no
musical background. And, Ian, I know what I hear. You're pissing in the wind
here.

>The couple of times I've tried to
>install the fact that My Gen contains the question/respond manner of the
>blues you simply ignore (for your gain obviously) let alone the actual
>makings of the song.  Mark, listen closely, I totally agree with you about
>My Gen, but to say this isn't a product of the blues, as is any song of
>it's day is simply stupid.

"Call and response." You're nit-picking with that. That's an element of
Blues, but when you PLAY My Generation as a Blues song you have to change
the song. I notice you ignore that. Every song with C&R is NOT a Blues song,
as I HOPE you know.
You're just being too general, that's all. Next you'll be claiming that all
guitar-based music is based on Blues. Here's what you're missing: this was
the first one that went beyond that.

                   Cheers                   ML