Re: misc. stuff

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996 Biggsk@aol.com wrote:

> Actually, you are WAY off the target with this one.  Abba, whether you li=
ke
> them or not (and I do - saw them in 1979 and they were great), were the
> largest selling band of the mid-70's to mid-80's, selling more records th=
an
> the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Stones , the Eagles and a few other bands
> COMBINED!!!!!!!!   NO other band EVER had their records enter the charts =
at
> Number 1 in EVERY country of the world upon release (except the U.S.) wit=
> virtually every record they did after breaking out with "Waterloo" in 197=
4.
>  You can check back issues of Billboard Magazine to check this out for
> yourself.

Regardless of their success in the seventies, from 1982 to 1992 pop music
had moved away from their style of music and they became a non-entity for
some time.  I don't seem to recall hearing anything about their solo
albums that came out sporadically through the 80s or any solo tours which
all these Abba lovers would surely have gone to.  It wasn't until the
recent 70s revival that their popularity increased again and Abba Gold was
released.=20

> U.S. is the ONLY country where they weren't that big.  Lots of people
> remember Abba - and even more wish they were still recording, touring, et=
c.

More people want them to record than those that remember them? =20
Interesting, I would have thought you would have to know who they are to=20
want them to record, plus more than a couple of the people that do=20
remember Abba have less than fondest memories...=20

I did a web search on Abba & Billy Idol.  Abba got 407 hits, while Billy
Idol had 3831.  If only a quarter of those documents are actually about
Billy Idol (not billy stole the idol from his fathers mantle or some other
combination of the 2 words) then there would still be more than twice the
number of Billy Idol links.  Seems some people still remember Billy Idol,=
=20
and consider him worthy of mentioning on a web page (that's pretty scary=20
in itself).

Shane Matheson=09=09=09=09=09=09MechEng/CompSci UWO

     "With a rebel yell, she cried mj=F6re, mj=F6re, mj=F6re" - Billy Abba