Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

          Mark L. wrote on 1/4/96:

      >I'd like to add that Townshend was improving during this time, too...and
      >continues to. The guitar work on the `82 tour was more acomplished than

          That's an interesting comment. I find Townshend's playing in
          79 to be some of his most inspired live work.  I really get
          the sense that Rabbit added a dimension that allowed Pete to
          experiment more with subtle riffs and phrases.  He didn't
          seem to be in a position to do that on previous tours.  Now,
          as for 1982, I dunno.  So much of what I've heard from that
          tour, Pete sounds like he's going through the motions.  But
          I tend to stay away from stuff from that tour because of
          WHO'S LAST.  I still say that what I saw in Indianapolis in
          82 was NOT represented on WHO'S LAST.

          Later,

          Jim