Re: Page, Plant, etc. (little Who content)

>>No, No, NO!  Page was the member of Zep who did the most-- he produced
>>EVERY album and co-wrote 95% of the original songs.  A song didn't make
>>the record unless Page OK'd it.  And Plant was also involved from day
>>one-- the only reason he didn't receive co-writing credits on "Led
>>Zeppelin I" is because he still had a contract with CBS.
>
>All I can say is this: If what you say is true, then why so suddenly (when
>the band broke up) did his brilliant songwriting and production skills
>disappear?

Easy: Page's heroin addiction was at its peak in the early '80s.  By
late 1983 he had kicked, and the first Firm album and "Outrider" both have
their moments.  The Coverdale/Page album has some EXCELLENT guitar work by
Page but Coverdale is too busy singing juvenile lyrics that Robert Plant
wouldn't touch with a 10 foot microphone.

As for Plant's solo career, he was always able to collaborate with other
artists and producers (i.e. Robbie Blunt or Phil Johnstone), but Page
insisted on keeping a heavy workload, producing and writing most of the
music.  A typical Led Zeppelin song had input from all four members, while
the typical Page/Firm song had just Page and whoever was singing.

Later,

Scott
(swandwn@agora.rdrop.com)