Re: The Whe hates LZ

>Pearl Jam's music does sound similar to LZ (the instrumental part at
>least).  I didn't know Eddie Vedder's personal influences.  But you have
>to admit their music does sound similar to LZ.

What you say has some merit...actually, the first time I heard PJ (Even
Flow) I liked it, then recorded a live show from Westwood One and loved it.
I wasn't thinking of The Who at all (or Zeppelin) when I heard the music.
But when I read that Vedder (who writes the songs, after all) was influenced
by QUAD, it all fell into place.
The Neil Young influence I'm still trying to sort out...
So I would say that, if you're going by the fact that PJ songs have a lot of
lead, then I guess there was some LZ influence. But the songs as a whole
show Who influence...just think QUAD.

>I do not mean to say the Who had no influence on heavy metal.  But, I do
>not think that they invented heavy metal.  Actually, if you would ask most
>bands they would probably say Sabbath influenced them the most.  BTW what
>year was My Generation put out (66' ?).

My Generation came out in `65. Black Sabbath put out their first album in
`70. And you must take into consideration that FOR 1965, My Gen was Heavy
Metal. Guitar effects evolved (more than any other time I know of) from `65
to `68. Listen to My Gen from `68! Still Heavy Metal. Try comparing the
original My Gen to other songs that came out in `65, and you might get an
idea how "heavy" it was.
I mean...I don't want to resort to the old saying that "Ya hadda be there,"
because I didn't hear MG till LEEDS. The first Who I heard was I Can See For
Miles, followed (somewhat later) by TOMMY. But you can compare the song to
its peers easily enough. Here's what was released by the biggies that year:

Animals: It's My Life/Bring It On Home To Me
Beatles: Eight Days A Week/Yesterday/Ticket To Ride/Help/Day Tripper
Stones: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction/Get Off Of My Cloud/The Last Time
Kinks: All Day And All Of The Night/Tired Of Waiting/Set Me Free
Yardbirds: For Your Love/Heart Full Of Soul
Them: Gloria/Bring On The Night
Herman's Hermits: Mrs. Brown etc./I'm Henry The Eighth, I Am

>Page played blues riffs during the entire LZ career - True.  But he is
>more than a blues guitarist.  Listen from Houses of the Holy and on and
>there are plenty non-blues songs.

Despite the fact that they aren't Blues songs, he's still playing Blues
riffs in them.

              Cheers                         ML

NP: