JFK: the edible president

>>       Oh, while I'm on the topic of German city/state/foods, when John F
>> Kennedy stood at the Berlin Wall and said, "Ich bin ein Berliner" what
>> did that mean?  I've been told that it means either "I am a Chocolate
>> Eclair," and/or "I am a sausage."

   I have read that the phrase "Ich bin Berliner" means "I am a citizen of
Berlin", while "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a jelly doughnut". From
the way the people of Berlin cheered the president's speech, I assume they
overlooked his slight imperfection.
Still, the East German guards in their watchtowers, able to clearly hear
the speech may have been smacking their lips.
   And speaking of Berlin, The Sex Pistols will be playing there this
summer, as well as many other European locations, before launching a
full-scale (this time) tour of the U.S. If you didn't get a chance to see
them last time around, try not to miss it. I was fortunate to see their
very last live appearance at Winterland in San Francisco in Jan. 1978, and
I know why Pete felt there might yet be hope for British rock. They, along
with The Clash, were the closest thing to the early Who I ever saw. Keep in
mind, of course, they're now in their early 40's.