Re: QUAD Live

>The Who probably made alot of bad decisions for reasons like this. They
>musta always seen America as the cash cow and `cow-towed' to what they
>though our audiences wanted.

I don't know if I can agree with that...Rog, perhaps, but I would imagine
that Pete (having written the epic peak of his career) expected people to be
as blown away by QUAD as those few us us who understood it were. However,
most people (in the US and elsewhere) go to concerts to "Rock and Roll!!!"
and were therefore not the "right" audience for that sort of reaction. Pete
probably assumed that as he and his music grew more sophisticated, so would
the fans. Which, on the whole, never happened.

>But I wonder what peoples' reactions were at
>the Quadrophenia shows. If someone heard, say, `Sea & Sand' for the first
>time in concert and liked it wouldn't they stand up and cheer about it
>after? Or is it all about "when are they gonna play `Teenage Wasteland'" and
>then scream through the whole number? (This is all summarized in Townshends
>face during the `Who Rocks America' video. I was at the Phila show and it
>WAS just a teenage wasteland.)

Remember Pete's comment (between It's Hard and Eminence Front) on the
Toronto show? "You don't understand what I'm saying..." or something to that
effect.
Baba always got a bigger reaction live than any of QUAD.

                   Cheers                   ML