A good Baba/Shepperton Show

Someone (but the confusing text stopped me from figuring out who) said
that the Baba on TKAA stinks, and wanted to know if a) there was a good
version with Moon out there, and b) did they play it that much when
Moonie was around.

First of all, this song was played ENDLESSLY with Moon since 1971.  They
played it with the same consistency as WGFA or My Generation.

Second of all, I think the Swansea version is pretty good, but then
again, I really like the TKAA version.

And speaking of the TKAA version, it was mentioned that Shepperton was
not an accurate representation of the Who live.  True.  Moonie was not as
he used to be, the band hadn't really played since the horrible Kilburn
spectacle (save a rehearsal at Shepperton earlier in the day), etc.

However, all this being said, I still find the Baba and WGFA from
Shepperton to be EXPLOSIVE.  The raw energy during Baba is amazing.  Pete
is crazy.  As for WGFA- my understanding is that the band had already
played this once, and Jeff Stein urged 'em to go out and do it again
(which, incidentally, would explain why the video and record versions are
a tad different, as well as Pete's knee slide to the left/reappearing on
the right trick on the video).  The band was PISSED.  And you can see
that in the performance.  It's probably my favorite performance to watch
by the Who, and it makes me want to get up and scream whenever I hear it.

My two cents,

Jay

Jason A. Hare
hare@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Nothing is Everything." - Pete Townshend