Re: A few questions

MM, re:

>1.  Would anyone like to comment on the quality (sound, packaging, or
otherwise) of one or all of the Amsterdam 1969 bootlegs?  I'd really like to
get a full Tommy set from '69-'70, and that show looks like the best bet; I
know there are several different boots out there, all with varying amounts of
the Tommy set, but I have no idea how they compare.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that great out there. I'd recommend waiting
for the "Isle Of Wight" before getting into some of this stuff. Some people
will disagree, but I think the mix on "Amsterdam, '69" (all formats) stinks,
and I never listen to it. It's pressed with a few vinyl titles, "The First
Complete Rock Opera" (or similar) comes to mind and I think it sounds a bit
better than the CD, "Live In Amsterdam", which also happens to be slightly
off speed. There's also and "edited" ("Tommy" only) CD of the same, which I
believe is called "Tommy Live". There's also "Who Is Tommy", a Japanese 2 CD
boot, which I think is from Dallas, '69 or '70 (don't have it in front of
me), but I think it's copied off the vinyl boot (can't remember its name)
that also sounds pretty bad.  Personally, I like the Woodstock performance.
It's fairly complete as a "Tommy" concert with no "Overture" though...
Unfortunately, it's mono, but Keith was in rare form. It's out on about 4
different boots, some off-speed, some with azimuth source tape problems, etc.
However, on 2 CDs is "The Violent Side" and I'd say that's the best of the
lot... You could by the boot box set (4 CDs 3 OTHER artists), as that one
sounds very good, but you'd be buying other CDs you may not want...
HOPEFULLY, they'll release the "Tommy" midsection performed at "Leeds" when
they release the official "live" CDs, which they haven't begun work on...

>2.  Can anyone lend any credence to the rumours that I've been hearing that
the complete Isle of Wight show is soon to be released on video, and that
MCA's multi-disk live retrospective (which I had heard wasn't even to be
started until the reissue program was finished) is due out for November?

I'm not sure which American label with be doing "Wight" as it's "Castle" in
the UK. The 2 CD set is due out in November, but I wouldn't hold my breath
(along with the 2 Townshend remasters!). The video will be out sometime in
'96 as I've been told...  See above for the rest...

>3.  The problems mentioned in an earlier post (sorry, I don't recall the
author) with the "Kids Are Alright" video- does that include the fact that "I
Can See For Miles" from the Smothers Brothers show, "My Wife" from Kilburn
State, and "Join Together" from Pontiac Stadium are listed on the box, but
aren't included on the video?  Are they included on the other format
mentioned?  And what are the tape speed problems with the VHS version?  I
don't suppose BMG Video has ever commented on this....

Forget the box and those titles. They ain't there! The only GOOD video of
"The Kids Are Alright" was put out on the now "defunct" RCA CED video disc
system. When the video was first released (I believe on Beta before VHS) they
wanted to squeeze as much of the approximate 2:15-2:20 hours on a single
video tape, which at the time, VHS was limited to 2 hours. So, they cut most
of the "A Quick One While He's Away" segment and sped everything up so it
would run faster and fit. When they finally released it on "hi-fi" it was
still in mono! Finally, they re-released it and edited it a bit. This time in
stereo (on some of the tracks), but still cut to shreds on "AQOWHA" and sped
up. However, they added the title track, missing from the original movie! The
laser disc is just defective, period. BMG has been told, but obviously nobody
cares. Maybe one day they'll "remaster" their old videos!

Hope this helps.

WF <~