Re: LaL Generation Gaffe

On Wed, 29 Mar 1995, Jeff Williams wrote:

>   Also, Rogers whoop just after the very first lines of
> "people try to put us down" is deleted and spliced with a lower key
> whoop.

It sounds to me like they just deleted all but the last quarter-second
or so of the original scream.

>  And, hey, there are plenty of other splices going on.

As to the editing of John's third run in the first solo on MyG, first,
kudos to George for bringing it up.  I've just listened to the reissue
side-by-side with the original vinyl and the first thing I verified
was that the actual length of the two phrases are the same (8 beats),
because the reissue edit is pretty jarring when I'm used to the
original vinyl sound.  My guess (only a guess) is that they were
attempting to "smooth out" the rhythm of the original solo as it is
very tricky.

  I think Townshend says fuck instead of fornicate when intro-ing
> A Quick One..., and they cut it off at the f and had him say fornicate,
> which could easily have been accomplished.

I disagree here.  I think he cuts _himself_ off and substitutes
"fornicate."  Evidence for this is Keith's remarks immediately
following, "What's that?  What's that, Pete?  I thought that was a
little station outside Chipping Unger." referring to a
"Something-gate" tube stop.  None of Keith's remarks would have been
funny (or even comprehensible) had Pete not said "fornicate."  That
leaves the possibility that Pete said, "They fuck, fornicate" but
after listening to it carefully I can't hear any evidence that the
tape was silenced-out during "uck."

Interesting.  There's a lot more going on "behind the scenes" of this
reissue than I would have thought.

Alan
L@L 007388

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend