Re[3]: Squeeze Box

I wrote:
>> Can't the
>>guy write a piece of filler once in a while?

Jim responds:
>Well, not really.  I'm not paying for damned filler. Should I go to work and do
>filler work? Not if I can help it. Do filler for too long and you get canned.

The fact remains that a lot of people like the song, so what defines filler
to the audience may not be the same as what it is for the writer.

>Besides, the Who's body of work prior to WBN suggests I shouldn't expect any
>filler, either. Yeah, we all get writer's block, and that means not putting
>out the crap we write when we're working through it. Maybe this song was a
>covert attempt to have a hit single...

And you can honestly say that every single piece of work you've ever done
is your absolute finest?  I certainly can't.

I'm not saying it was up to PT's normal soul-wrenching finery, just that I
can cut him some slack occasionally and let him have some fun.  Even with
SB, PT has consistently given me WAY more introspection per minute than
anyone.

Personally, I think the weakest cut on the album (musically, at least) is
In A Hand Or In A Face.

>I'll bet that Pete fiddled around with the accordion and when he mastered some
>stuff, decided he should put it to use on a Who album. So, we got Squeeze Box

Like Harrison's sitar on Norwegian Wood?  Or Page's pedal steel on Down By
The Seaside?I think they all worked out pretty well, myself...

OK,
KLW