16" tire size help needed

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has just bought a 97 A3 Golf. He would like to upgrade
the wheels and tires, and wants to go with a 16" for all around drive
ability.

What is the widest tire that he can run on a 16" rim without rubbing?
What rim width will he have to look for in order for him to run the
widest tire? The car will retain the stock ride height.
I know that the suggested is 205/40R16, but I believe that there is room
for improvement.

I believe that there are people running as wide as 225/40r16's, but with
some modification.(Peter Jolles running Volk TE 37's comes to mind)

My personal thought is to run a 215/40R16.........what are you
thoughts???

what is the wheel and tire combo that most closely resembles the stock
OD of the wheel/tires that came on the car.

thanks,

chris