Re: 16" tire size help needed

Chris,

I run the Volk TE37's in 16x7, because of the relatively low offset (+33) and
the 7" rim width I stayed with the recommended 205/45/16 tires (Toyo Proxes
T1S).  I have used a wider tire on the car with a higher offset wheel with
only slight rubbing on the outside rear and that is with 1-1.5" lowering all
around.   I have no rubbing with my current setup and am very happy with the
Toyo tires.

The closest to stock is 205/45/16, or 225/40/16
I think 215/40/16 would be a good width and slightly shorter than the stock
diameter which in turn gives better acceleration.  Although most tires
recommend a 7.5" wheel width for 215 or 225 tires.  Make sure the wheel also
has at least a +35 offset or he will have rubbing on the rear outside fenders.

I hope that helps, by the way my car is a 97 Jetta GLX,

Jeff