RE: Advice on shock/strut & spring setup

I feel the exact opposite on how Cameron feels.

I had a GTI with the Bilstein Sport & Neuspeed Sport combo (similar ride as
H&R Sports).  IMO, very harsh on bumps but handled well on tight corners.
It seemed that every time I hit some little bump on the road, the car would
go BAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!!!  I dreaded driving down less-than-perfect roads all
of the time.  I also didn't like the drop.  The rear always looked way lower
than the front, but I guess that's completely normal for the Mk3 VW's.

I now have the Cup Kit and love every minute of it.  The drop is perfect,
the ride is supple, and my wife actually approves.  The drop leaves about a
finger gap on both wheel wells, but doesn't pose rubbing problems even with
my 17"x7.5 30mm offset ABT wheels.  I drive fairly aggressively, and I can
hang with my friends Mk2 GTI w/ Bilstein PSS coilovers in the twisties.

I personally think coilovers are WAAAAAYYYYY too harsh for daily driving and
would not recommend them.  Just find anyone with coilovers and try to push
the corner of the car downward.  It's so freakin' stiff.

I personally vote for the H&R Cup Kit!  :)
But... I would recommend finding some dub friends in the area and take other
modded VW's for a test drive!

-Chuck Simpson
'97 GTI VR6