Re: Advice on shock/strut & spring setup

I have yet to talk to someone who hasn't regretted doing coilovers instead of the combo.

Having said that, I am quite pleased with my Bilstein Sport + H&R Sport setup, though I find it a
little bit rougher than I'd like. I think that maybe Koni yellows and the H&R Sports would be a bit
better, as I'd like to soften up the damping just a smidge. They're an extra $100 or so over the
Bilsteins, but I've heard it's worth it.

If you don't want to drop your ride much, H&R OE Sports are supposedly a nice compromise between
handling and comfort, as well as giving the least amount of lowering of all the H&R sets. My springs
took me down like 1.5 front, 1.4 rear or something, which puts it at a really nice looking,
effective height. My control arms are perfectly perpendicular to the ground now, which I have read
is typically the ideal ride height.

I'm not familiar with the Eibach lines but the H&R race, which is their highest-rate spring set,
would have lowered my car farther than I'd like, as well as making it impossible to align properly
(my mechanic said if I'd lowered it another 1/4" he wouldn't have been able to do it). The spring
rates are also insane enough that I would probably need a full-time chiropractor on staff :-)

So for overall look, ride comfort, cleanliness, and sophistication, I'd probably run with Koni
Yellows and Eibach Sports (if that's their "sport" spring rate, not too aggressive, and only lowers
about an inch and a half) or coilovers if you can afford them.

Cheers,

# Nathan
1/1996 Jetta GLX