Transmission for a 97 VW Jetta GLS automatic

Hey All,

    I just recently bought a 97 Jetta GLS automatic. I have never
driven a VW or a VW Jetta (to be specific) before and I don't know how
it is suppose to drive. My question involves, I believe, the
transmission. Here is my scenerio:

--> When the car is at rest (red light or stop sign) and I accelerate,
around approximately 20-25MPH the car shifts gear and I feel a little
jerk like I am actually shifting gear with a manual car (letting go of
the gas to press on the clutch and then pressing the gas again). I have
never driven a Volkswagen vehicle before. I have driven mostly
automatics my entire life and I have never felt the "kickback" that I
do with this Jetta. Also, I just took the car to the shop for a
Diagnostic Test and they told me that there is a "Delay" with the
transmission. They never said that it was a problem and I am not sure
if this is "natural" for any Volkswagen or a 97 Jetta GLS. I don't want
to have to spend $1500-3000 to fix the transmission if there is nothing
wrong with it. Please give me some idea how 97 VW Jettas (automatic)
drive so that I don't waste money.

Thanks,
Peter Jensen
97 VW Jetta GLS