RE: Smog Problem on '91 Jetta GLX

Marc/Dave,

The cat has been replaced.  The exhaust is stock.  I also replaced the
rear fuel pump last year.  Here is something else that might help us
understand.  Before I replaced the starter ignition switch, I got this
problem...  I would be driving down the road and all of the sudden it
felt like the auto-choke would kick in.  I felt like I would lose power.
I would turn the key off and refire the engine.  Boom, problem gone...
until a few mile down the road when it would happen again.  I have
replaced this switch and the problem just started to occur again.  Do you
think this is now pointing to something eletronical that I haven't
replaced - like the ECU?  Or could there be some other component that I
am not troubleshooting?

Stacey

>From: Marc Gallagher >Reply-To: jettaglx@igtc.com >To:
"'jettaglx@igtc.com'" >Subject: RE: Smog Problem on '91 Jetta GLX >Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:12:58 -0500 > >I agree. Seems to be a bad sensor
somewhere. Or perhaps a bad fuel >pump/fuel pressure regulator. This is
really beyond my expertise. Just >trying to engineer a solution. You are
getting too much fuel when the >throttle requests more than just idle. So
something along the fuel delivery >system seems to be the culprit (since
you replaced the exhaust end). What >(if anything) has been replaced? >
>m- > >-----Original Message----- >From: TRedGLX@aol.com
[mailto:TRedGLX@aol.com] >Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:01 AM >To:
jettaglx@igtc.com >Subject: Re: Smog Problem on '91 Jetta GLX > > >In a
message dated 1/15/2002 8:42:49 AM Central Standard Time,
>viva_soccer@hotmail.com writes: > > > > Yeah, my bad. It's a GLI.
Anything you think I can look into that could > > fix the problem? > > >
>8V or 16V? > >Sounds like the ECU is getting a 'fuel starvation' signal
from somewhere, >and >it's pouring the gas to it. > >Do you have some
kind of fuel enrichment module hooked up or something? > >Dave >11 Sep 01