Re: Smog Problem on '91 Jetta GLX

In a message dated 1/15/2002 9:19:21 AM Central Standard Time,
viva_soccer@hotmail.com writes:

> It is a 2.0 16v.  No fuel enrightment - everything is stock.  My friend
> who owns a German Shop said that we might have to look into replacing the
> ECU.  I am not happy about it.  But if that's all that will work, then it
> looks like I will go that way.
>
> One other quick quesiton, I am looking to sell it.  It is in MINT
> condition.  I have a ton of pic's and a laundry list of aftermarket
> components on it - Recarro, BBS, Euro headlight setup, and on, and on...
> Can I post that on here?  And do you know of any other VW Distribution
> Lists on the West Coast (specifically Northern California) I can add it
> to?
>
> Again, I appreciate all your help
>
> Stacey

If you're going to replace the ECU, I'd try a junkyard ECU first - it'll be a
LOT cheaper than a new unit. Or you can borrow a 'known-good' unit from
another car, and see if it helps. I'd consult a Bentley manual before just
replacing expensive items like ECUs. And being a CA car (isn't it?) it should
have an OBD port under the shift boot (?) so a dealer can hook the VAG tool
up to it. You might want to invest an hour or two diagnostic time at a
reputable VW dealer's service dept. and see what they come up with. They've
likely seen this problem before.

If you really want to sell it, list it on the classifieds page on vwvortex
forums. But a car like that - I'd hang on to it if it were mine. Hard to come
by as it is, and if it's as clean as you say, even *harder* to come by. You
have a classic. Keep it if you can.

Dave
11 Sep 01
Always remember