New (used) Jetta, and some repair questions

I recently purchased a used jetta (94) and discovered a few problems that
I'd like to repair myself.  Since I've noticed that the problems have been
mentioned on this list I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has
self-perfomed the work and could give me some pointers.  Here are the
problems

1 - steering wheel is off-center to the left.  I know this is probably a tie
rod issue (or alignment), but are there any more details as to what exactly
went wrong with the tie rod?  If I have a new one installed, will have a
different design that corrects the problem?

2 - ventilation fan control (aka heater fan, a/c fan).  The #1 setting on
the fan doesn't work.  What is the most likely part that failed, where is it
located, and how to I get to it?

3 - the boot surrounding the gear shift lever (5 spd) is ripped.  How do I
remove it to install a new one?

4 - the horizontal airflow slots on the drivers-side window vent
air-director are broken, how do I remove the vent air-director to replace
it?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but it would be a huge help if
anyone who has experience with the above problems could let me know what
they did, or what the dealer said they did, to repair them.

Thanks,
Jacob